Retracing the Steps

There's something about walking onto a crime scene. If you have ever stepped foot into a particularly gruesome one, you will never be able to watch 99.9% of horror movies ever again. It's too easy to tell what's bullshit and who actually took the time to make it realistic.

The body was already covered when Alastor and I arrived. Looking past those working the crime scene, I tried to envision what had happened here by the clues left behind. No broken lock, no broken windows, nothing to hint at forced entry. 

When I turned my attention to the body, I saw Alastor already kneeling beside it, peering beneath the sheet. Kneeling beside him, I asked, "Strangled?"

Nodding, Alastor let the sheet fall back over the body, "Hard enough to leave bruises."

"She let him in," I said, trying to figure out how my original profile fit in with what I knew now. 

Alastor stood up and began circling the room like he was hunting for something. I watched him, wondering what the hell he was doing. After a few moments, I realized he was retracing the most likely path the killer would have taken. 

Pausing, he turned to me and said, "Did any of the other victims have bruising like this one?"

I thought for a moment, "A few I think."

"You might want the examiner's reports on those bodies," Alastor replied, "I'd bet money they all belong to different men. That could give us a clue as to how many there really are."