Chapter 24

The both of them ended up sitting with us and that was really awkward. It was really difficult for me since I am hiding my hearing aid to Keith.

I didn't greet him. I only greeted Jenny.

"Rex, Emmanuel," Jorge said as he is introducing Jenny to them. "This is Jenny, my cousin."

Rex snorted while Manuel held his laugh. I rolled my eyes at them since I told them Jenny was an ex-girlfriend. I am playing a joke and seems like it didn't worked.

Jenny winked at me and I almost rolled my eyes at her if it weren't for Keith who is staring at me.

"I guess my ship is sailing, huh?" she said. I don't know if that was a joke or she is serious about that.

Me and this Jenny aren't going along pretty well, that's why I'd like to tease her and her cousin but it seems like it didn't work. Ako pa ang napahamak sa ginawa ko. Nakakahiya.

Nakita kong masasama ang tingin ni Jorge at Manuel kay Keith, habang si Rex naman ay mukhang natutuwa sa nangyari.

"Or not." Jenny said as she shrugged her shoulders.

"Anyway, how is your hearing—"

Lumaki ang mata ko at biglang kinabahan dahil kay Jenny. Kaya agad kong kinalabit si Jorge at sinipa niya ang kanyang pinsan sa ilalim ng mesa.

"Aray! Ano ba Jojo!" reklamo niya.

I looked at Keith and he looked confused because of the two. Before he can look at me, I already looked at Rex who is now laughing.

"Hearing? Did you filed a case with someone?" I heard Keith said and I was shocked to hear his voice after four years.

Wow. It's been a while since I heard his voice and his voice matured. It gotten deeper than his usual voice. Kapag naririnig ko naman yung boses niya kahit saan, mukhang hindi naman ganoon kalalalim.

But I guess the word didn't got to him, about my hearing issues. Ang pagkakaalam ko, nagawan ng paraan ni Emmanuel na hindi kumalat ang balita tungkol sa sitwasyon ko. At mukhang hindi nga kumalat ang chismis.

I was slightly startled when Jorge put his hand over my hand that is placed at the table!

"Okay ka lang?" he asked.

I looked at Keith and he wasn't looking at me. He's looking at Jorge.

"Huy, Dence. Ano na?"

"Dence?" Keith asked with a bit of annoyance in his voice.

I looked at Jorge and smiled at him, "I'm fine." I said.

I know where his concerns are coming. He asked me not a long time ago if I had a brain injury since that can be a cause of my hearing loss.

I denied it at first since I didn't knew the whole story of my childhood and they said that was a bit weird but I think it was normal... since I was just a little girl.

But it seems like bad luck is really on my side.

When I was five, me and my father got into an car accident. Mommy said we're going to the mall since I was demanding for a doll house that day but we're unlucky. Daddy protected me that's why he died.

I had a Post Traumatic Hearing Loss. Mommy, Manuel, Jorge and his friend, the Doctor in United States is the only ones who knew it.

Jorge's friend said, the post-traumatic hearing symptoms doesn't begin immediately after the trauma and it's called "delayed endolymphatic hydrop". Just like my case.