fourty nine | hunger

"Two meals a day for people working as hard as ours, we won't make any friends." Bellamy sighed as they all worked.

"Well, it there's one thing our people understand, it's rationing. Besides, once we close those doors, It'll be one meal a day for the next 5 years." Clarke sighed.

"Try one meal every other day. Hunting parties are coming back with less and less." Raven told them and Taya secretly glanced at her stomach. She wasn't sure how much a baby needed, but that didn't seem like enough. "Thanks to your friend Niylah, we're preserving more meat than ever, but it's still not enough. without a way to make water, growing our own protein like we did on the Ark is not an option. Remember that when we're starving." She told Bellamy.

"Shut up, Raven." Taya snapped, not happy with her constant bitching.

"I won't be starving because I won't be inside." Bellamy told her and Taya's heart dropped.

"What?" She demanded, fear growing in her chest. Bellamy looked at her sadly but didn't say anything.

"Yes, you will." Clarke said sternly, causing Taya some relief.

"Does that mean you made the list?" Raven asked, hopefully.

"No. What about drinking water?" Clarke changed the subject, but Taya was still staring at Bellamy.

"Clarke, don't change the subject." Raven didn't let her get off that easy. "We need to know who's gonna be on the inside of these doors when the radiation comes."

Bellamy turned to focus on the two again, deciding that was easier than facing Taya's stare.

"We don't need to know now." Clarke disagreed.

"We need some medical help at the front gate." A man on the Comms said. "Looks like we got some sick people there." The four instantly hurried off, reaching the front gates as quickly as possible.

"Do not come any closer." A guard yelled.

"Please. They need Skaikru medicine." One of them replied.

"Move. Stand back." Bellamy ordered, pushing through the line of guards.

"Nyko." Clarke noticed the man.

"What if it's a Grounder attack like they did with Murphy?" Miller quietly asked Bellamy.

"What happened to them?" Clarke asked.

"The sickness. We lost more than 40 on the way." Nyko said. Taya stayed back as Bellamy and Clarke moved forward.

"Luna?" Bellamy asked, noticing that she was one of the sick ones. She looked up worriedly.

"Please don't turn us away because of what I did to you." She pleaded.

"Out of my way. Please let me through." Abby called, moving to the front. She moved forward to examine the people.

"Mom, what is this?" Clarke asked her quietly. Taya took a few steps forward to hear her answer.

"Fever, lesions, vomiting. It's ARS." Abby said heavily.

"What's ARS?" Bellamy asked, not understanding.

"Acute Radiation Sickness." Abby said, and that's all they needed to know to know that they were screwed.

"When did the symptoms start?" Abby asked Luna.

"Not sure. Right before the fish started dying." Luna replied.

"The fish are dying?" Raven questioned, slightly alarmed.

"Floating on the sea to the horizon in every direction." Nyko said, making the atmosphere even heavier.