16. K(reep) Kai

Edit/Rewritten: May 8, 2021

___

Logans POV

_________

Chapter Sixteen: K(reep) Kai

     "Let me get this straight," I began, heart thumping wildly in my chest. "You want to build a case against my father because he sexually abused you for three years and- and you need me to do what?"

     "We would need you to go to a therapist, the same one that helped me understand my memories and is in contact with the detective in charge of this case." Kai explained, as smoothly as possible through his shaky voice.

     "But I thought you didn't have a case? What do you need me for?" Confusion and fear filled me. The more I thought about it, the more I didn't want to do it. Go to a therapist? To scour through my brain? Wouldn't that make things worse?

     "We are looking into building a case." Kai sighed, as though I was giving him a hard time. " I'm going to pursue a criminal case, or lawsuit. But this is my first time that my abuse was reported, so the statute of limitations is, to put it simply, a little thin. It still holds up in our state, luckily, but in the end your father might not even go to jail. He might just have to pay emotional damages and-"

     "So this won't put him away for good?" I looked over to my mom, who was sitting next to Kai as though he were her son but I didn't take it personally. She had never really been a mom, leaving me and my brother behind at any given chance. And, the more I thought about it, the less I blamed her. Who would want to stay in a house with my father? "Then. . . what's the point?"

     That was the wrong question to ask and I regretted it instantly, knowing how insensitive it seemed.

     I jolted as Kai gripped his chest, nails digging into the skin of his collarbone. "I'm not crazy! I - I'm not! He did, I just, he just - something needs to happen."

     There wasn't a way I could've said no, not with the way his eyes became wide and round with supplication, but "I'm sorry. I need to talk to Kyle. This might have happened to him too. I'll," I gulped. "I'll send you a message afterwards, okay?"

     That was the end of the conversation, and with much reluctance I led them out the door, asking my mom to take care of him. Something she seemed familiar with as she placed her hands on his arms, silently guiding him out of view.

_________

     Tripp came back during his usual lunch time, panting and looking around the house with fright until his eyes landed on my figure on the couch. He quickly made his way over, "What's wrong? You didn't pick up any of my calls, or respond to my messages."

     I blinked, pulling myself out of my daze and turning over to look at him, shrugging. Guilt filled me as Tripp sighed, tying his hair back before throwing himself next to me on the couch, bringing me into his embrace. "Kai finally contacted me."

     A hum, Tripp traced his comforting swirls on my arms. I continued, "He said that my father sexually abused him during elementary school, and that we were friends. . . and that, he thinks - maybe, I, he said- I was there too. So there's a chance I could have been sexually abused or something and - I don't know, that I suppressed the trauma?"

     There was a long pause of silence. Tripp didn't need to talk for me to know how tense he was, I could practically feel it. I pressed on, not knowing how or when to shut up. "I don't remember anything. I don't think that he did abuse me, at least not sexually. I'm not entirely sure. But I still need to talk to Kyle."