23. Someone Who Cares

Edit/Rewritten: August 25, 2021

___

Logan's POV

_________

Chapter Twenty-Three: Someone Who Cares

     The late evening quickly turns into nighttime. Dinner was served in silence, me and Kyle eating in the guest room while Tripp kept Liam company. It was easier that way. Liam wouldn't be embarrassed about his red-rimmed eyes, and Kyle still had the meal of a lifetime.

     Now it's nearing early morning, the sky starting to turn a light blue as the clock ticks. It's almost 4 am, and neither me nor Tripp could go to sleep. Instead our eyes stayed trained on the wall in front of us, as if it was holding all the answers. Usually, if this was the case in any other situation we'd initiate something or go to the gym. But with Kyle staying in the guest room, and Liam sleeping on the couch in the living room, we just couldn't find it in ourselves to do either of those.

     Both of our guests were situated, and with that we were left alone, basking in the darkness of our thoughts.

     Finally Tripp broke that silence, muttering quietly. "We need to convince him to leave his girlfriend." Somewhere throughout the night his hand had traveled to rest against my abdomen, running soothing circles against my side.

     "It freaked me out so bad." I admit, chuckling humorously. "The thought of someone you're with to trust and love, turning on you in a split second because of who you are."

     "You won't ever have to confront him, Logan." Tripp says calmly. Guilt floods me in a second. This isn't about me. None of this is. And yet — I still can't help but project what happened to me onto what Liam was currently going through.

     It's selfish, and it makes the guilt that's boiling inside me coil and transform into disgust.

     "He attacked me, Tripp. He attacked me thinking I was Kyle. My father hated his son for being gay and wanted to stab him. What would he do if he finds out that I'm gay?" I let out a soft, sheepish sigh. "Or that I'm at least currently attracted to a male."

     Again, because it's true. When I analyze my feelings it's clear that I'm not gay. I'm not interested in other males. Obviously I can tell when another guy is attractive, but I never find myself attracted to them. Yet, when it comes to Tripp, I find that I'm fully invested, emotionally and physically.

     It just feels right.

     Tripp let's out an agitated sigh, as though the question is making him think unwanted thoughts. I relate. "I don't know Logan." He begins, "And I don't want to know. I only want to love you, to keep you safe. To do that; I'm keeping you two far away from each other."

     My body arches against his as kisses are pressed against my neck in a comforting and reassuring manner. However the thought of my father quickly brings back awful words that echo in the back of my head and I whimper against Tripp. He's quick to turn next to me, engulfing me in his warmth and comforting words and I finally find myself giving into the prospect of sleep.

____✩____

     It isn't often that I find myself actively hating somebody else. The thought is simply outlandish, why hate? Which, in truth, is completely hypocritical seeing as most of my high school career consisted of me 'hating on people'. That's only quote-on-quote though, an assumption, the idea that there is a reason behind why I did something. When most of the time, I just hated my life. It isn't an excuse, there's constant guilt and self-hatred for my past self.