18. Before the Us

Edit/Rewritten: May 16, 2021

___

Logans POV

_________

Chapter Eighteen: Before the Us

A sulky Tripp was never a good sign. It meant solitude and eerie quietness and loneliness. When Tripp was sulky, he often requested time alone. Therefore it didn't come as a surprise when I woke up to a empty bed, and a note;

Studying at the library, I'll be back for the appointment.

It was obvious. Why didn't he just text me? Because texting would invoke a response from me, the complete opposite of what he wants. I huff, rolling away from the note and hugging his pillow to my chest. Tripps recent behavior was off-putting. It wasn't clear or evident. He still showed his affection, but he was more cautious with how he handled me, more hesitant.

To say that it annoys me is an understatement.

A groan leaves me as I will myself out of bed, stomping into the shower and completing my morning routine. As much as I want to listen to Tripp and his unsaid need to be alone, another part of me wants to simply go out and look for him, ask him what's wrong, reassure him till he can do nothing more but believe me.

Yes, I convince myself, I'll get down to the bottom of it before my appointment.

_________

I manage to find Tripp as I exit my final class of the day. Sneaky as always, he was going through the other hallways of the building, carrying a load of books. There's a guy chattering with him animatedly, pink and blue and overall pastel clips and bracelets adorning his hair and wrists.

He's cute, in a comic character kind of way, and his eyes grow large as Tripp replies to him. I take that as my chance to swoop in, catching them both off guard as I nudge into Tripp's side.

Their eyes flicker to me, and my gaze narrows as Tripp's eyes avoid mine - instead looking at the bottom half of my face. He gives me a wavering smile, "Hi Logan,"

"Hi yourself morning ditcher." I smile towards the other male, "Whose this?"

"Liam." Tripp quickly responds. "He's in my Administration & Management Class as well as my Economics and Government class."

I let out an impressed whistle, "That sounds like a lot of work. Well," I slide my hand forward, hooking it with Tripp's elbow. "Do you mind if I steal him from you? I have to talk to Tripp about something urgent."

Liam blinks, looking between us and taking a step back. "Oh! Sure, of course." He gave us a large grin and a small wave. "See you around!"

"He's cute."

"Yeah. He's really nice too, always offers to help me when I don't understand an assignment."

I don't overthink the information as I tug him along the hallways, looking for an empty lecture room. Once I find one I tug Tripp inside, locking the classroom door behind us.

"What's wrong?" I ask as I turn to face him. Tripp leans against one of the many desks scattered inside the room, looking like he hadn't slept in days. Instinctively, I reach out to him, wrapping my arms around him, pulling his curls back. He flinches at the touch, I frown, "Did I-"

"No!" Tripp leans into my touch. "You didn't do anything wrong, god - I. It's me. I did something terrible."

"I'm pretty sure I'm worse," I quip. "Remember that time I bragged about making a girl drool on my lap? That must've been terrible for you."