22. Misjudgment

Edit/Rewritten: August 25, 2021

___

Logan's POV

_________

Chapter Twenty-Two: Misjudgment

     "Yes, that's correct. I don't see Kyle going back for another week. He has access to a computer though, so I would appreciate it if you could give me his teachers phone numbers so I can reach out to them for the classwork." Another pause, then frantic typing. It takes another half an hour for the numbers to be sent to me. I thank the school administrator, hanging up and turning around to glare at my brother, who nonchalantly rests on my bed. "Here, message your teachers and ask for this week's work."

     Kyle groans, rolling over to hug one of my pillows. "Why do I have to do work and you don't?"

     "Because it's midterms week, there's no work to be done aside from taking tests. Now stop questioning me, if you finish all your work early you can probably help Tripp prepare for dinner." I explain, tugging off my tank-top and pulling on a black crop top, the hem of the shirt lifting enough to show my hip bones.

     "And why would I want to do that?"

     "Food." I reply simply, pulling on a pair of jeans.

     "Food." Kyle repeats, and after a pensive second he adds, "Food sounds good."

     "That it does," I smack the side of his thigh, "Now go, I need to go take two tests but I should be done by lunch time, Tripps midterms are presentations so I don't know exactly when he'll be done so don't do anything embarrassing."

     "Me? Embarrassing?" He stretches over the bed, "Oh dear brother, when have I ever done anything-"

     I stand, grabbing my phone and backpack. "Phone sex with Monroe."

     "OH MY GOD!" Kyle screeches, rolling to hide his face in the contours of my bed, I snort. "That was one time!!"

     "One time too many, I'll see you in a few hours, be good." I mutter, kissing his cheek. Kyle hugs my side, grumbling an "I'm always good" under his breath as I leave the room. Kyle and I, as well as Kai, had gone to the therapist two more times, to revisit our memories and to write down anything that could be used by Kai and his legal team. We hadn't seen our mother after that first visit, and some part of me is grateful.

     She was successful in moving on, and that is something to commend, even if she had to abandon us in the process.

     I still hadn't had a chance to talk to Liam about the bruises that decorated his abdomen. At the same time, I didn't want to push it. It isn't my business, but the fact that he wanted to discuss it with Tripp, made me more aware of it. What did Tripp know about the bruises? How much did he know?

     And why didn't he tell me about it?

     A grunt escapes me at the question, eyebrows pinched as I stop in front of my philosophy classroom. Pressing my fingers against my forehead, I let out a heavy sigh. Now isn't the time to think about the inner-workings of their friendship, I have a test to pass. And after this another. Then, maybe after that, I can look into it.

________

From: Tripp

Liam will be staying with us for a while, we can talk about it when you get home, <3

     The text message makes two things happen; firstly it makes me frown, but then it makes my heart hammer inside my chest because did he just call our dorm home our home? I head back, already having finished with my classes tests, would it be inappropriate for me to ask Liam or Tripp why he was staying over?