6. how to deal with mistakes

Emily comes back to my room, she knows I am an awful mess right now. She always knows how I feel. This fucking party and my initial longing for a one-night stand definitely backfired.

I don't do relationships ever since what happened. Instead I have fun to shake off my past. Seems like last night it was a very dumb idea, I should have stuck to Evans.

Emily interrupts my thoughts making me look up at her.

"I think Evans is really in to you. What are you going to do about it?"

I sigh. "I have no idea. I mean I like him too, he doesn't seem the jackass type like most of them. And he sure is hot. But he's my neighbour, I can't just have a one-night stand with him and then pretend nothing happened."

"And if you don't just go for a one-night stand? You could try dating him."

Dating him? Could I try that? I mean he obviously still is a total stranger I only met beginning of the week. But he sure has something interesting about him.

"You know I don't do dates", I answer instead.

"Sam it's been five years. This isn't healthy anymore. Why not try something different for a change? I mean if it doesn't work, we can still stick to all the other boys here. I just think you shouldn't make it a none option to have a real date."

I let out a cynical laugh. "Oh, and what do I tell Evans? Hey sorry, I fucked the guy you warned me about while you were waiting for me to return. But would you like to date me now?"

"Gosh Sam, you don't need to tell him, do you? What did Jake say? Will he keep it to himself?"

"Last night while we were wearing our masks, he said Evans won't find out. Do you think he'll stick to it now he knows who I am? Gosh I should have kicked him out right after our first round. We wouldn't have known who the other one is, and it would have been just fine."

"Don't you think you would have recognized him on some party sooner or later?"

Once again, I sigh and know Emily is right. "Fuck Emi, what do I do if I meet him again on a party?"

"Stay away from him. Act like he is a total stranger. I mean after five years you practically are. He knows nothing about your life today, he doesn't know how much things have changed you. And let's face it, he obviously has changed too. I mean shy Jake has turned into a fucking hot womanizer."

Yeah that doesn't necessarily make it better, he is really fucking hot. Gosh I can't believe this is the same guy who had been my boyfriend for nearly one year and whom I had known since I was four. Shy Jake who didn't have anything to do with those features from last night. Piercing, tattoos, his whole muscular build and of course his attitude. He's an absolute womanizer who seems to fuck anything he can get. Guess Emily is right we have both changed in those five years.

"Ben and Jerry's with Netflix for today? And tomorrow we'll just forget you had the night of your life with your ex?"

"Babe, I love you! You always know what I need", I exclaim. "How could I survive the last five years without you being near?"

"Because no matter how far apart we were, we were always together. No one could stop us", she chuckles. "Love you too Sweetheart."

She's right, no matter how hard her parents tried to part us, they couldn't manage it. We always stuck together, we even watched Netflix together while texting or being on the phone for hours. At some point even her parents gave up on parting us.

We spend the rest of the day, chilling on the couch with Netflix, Ben and Jerry's and later on pizza. Surely the right thing after a hangover and unknowingly making out with my ex. Binge watching with my bestie is definitely one of the best things in life.