40. Jake's POV How to save a life

I can't believe my parents have the fucking nerve to turn up here. Fucking Michael can be glad I'm not around his place at the moment for calling my parents for me going against the rule to ever turn up there again. Honestly, they can all go to hell. All of them made massive mistakes. Michael's whole family, my mum and dad, Emi's mum and dad, they all fucked up. And the ones paying for it are Sam, Emi and I. 

When I tried going against their deal five years back, mum said it would be my fault alone if dad goes to prison. Fuck I was only a naive fifteen-year-old who thought he had to protect his family. Who was even told I have to protect my family above anything. Looking back, I protected the wrong people, they didn't deserve my protection.   

And the person who really deserved my protection didn't get it. The person whose heart and soul broke that night.

After what happened, we moved to a place I didn't like. My parents hated each other and only stuck together because of the lie they were trying to protect. Mum keeps on repeating she couldn't live with dad going to prison. I wonder why she sticks to him, if she hates him on the other side. All they do is argue all day long and dad still sticks his fucking dick everywhere.

And me? I was left with a broken family, my best friend had raped the girl I loved the most. As if it wasn't bad enough I couldn't help her in that situation, no they made me lie and leave her behind, to live a life which I hated. Oxford made things easier, being away from my parents and that fucked up life. The guilt always stayed with me though. And then Sam turned up out of the blue, I can't believe my luck of having her back in my life. She doesn't know, but she is kind of healing me too.

I love her so freaking much. It broke my heart to lose her and now that I finally have her back, they can suck it. She's my life and all I need.

My parents are screaming at me for going back and even threatening Michael. It takes all my composure not to smirk while thinking about how Sam sucked it up to Michael. Knew he wouldn't be pleased about it, but fuck him and fuck my parents. No one is keeping me away from Sam anymore. As my dad starts telling me, I need to break up with Sam immediately, I flip off the hand. It's not like we were on friendly talking terms before that either, but enough is enough. He even has the fucking nerve to ask me since when, we are back together. I tell him it's none of his fucking business. That's where things start really escalating. I throw everything at him. Too obedient as son I didn't dare to say anything against him in the last couple of years, now he needs to know I am so done with his pathetic lies and him trying tell me how to lead my life just to protect his own. Have they ever cared about anyone else but themselves? Have they ever thought about how many lives they have carelessly destroyed?

Everything that has built up inside of me, all the hatred and pain are now taking upper hand and I throw it to his face.

Suddenly I hear something behind me fall on the ground. Shocked I turn around and see Sam stood there her eyes torn wide open, in hurt, disbelief, shock and anger. I feel all my blood drain from my face. She won't let me come near her and then she runs.

My heart is racing like mad, I'm hardly able to breathe in shock and fear of losing her again. 

No matter how much I call out, I can't stop her, as soon as she drives off, I head back into my place. My motorbike! I need to follow her. No fuck the roads are too icy.

"Keys", I yell at my dad.

"You aren't getting my Porsche", he yells back.

"Keys, now. Or it's your fault if she kills herself on those icy roads. Another Jones you will have killed", I yell.

"No way", he glares at me. But mum pulls out the keys from his pocket I see the shocked look on his face.

No idea if mum is doing it for my sake right now or if she is worried Sam might blurt something out, I don't give a fucking damn. Running to the door my mum yells after me to be careful.