41. Jake's POV friends

Reaching the hospital we rush to the ER, they tell us we have to wait in the waiting area. Sam has been taken to the shock room, but they aren't handing me anymore information.

Evans gets us a coffee and hands me one. By the way he is behaving I can tell he is torn between anger and sympathy for me. Right, it's now or never and this waiting is killing me anyway, so I might as well use the time to talk to Evans.

"You wanted to know what she knows? Well she found out something terrible today, something very wrong", I start off and then tell him the whole story, starting with what Sam overheard today.

Then I tell him the part Sam doesn't know, how things were at the time.

I tell him, how my dad came home that evening after the accident. He never even stopped to call an ambulance or the police but he fucking called Michael's parents to ask them what to do. They were his lawyers and they fucking told him to leave the town with us the next day for a week on holiday. They would take care of the car. Michael's dad was my dad's best friend at that time and he told him not to ever tell anyone or he would go to prison for what he and Emi's mum did. My dad also paid him a fortune to take care of things. As Emi's mum wasn't the actual driver her sentence wouldn't be as bad as my dad's, but she would still be going to jail too. After Michael raped Sam that night, things escalated. Michael's dad had held evidence against my dad and Emi's mum, they threatened to report both, if Emi and I would tell the truth to the police about the rape. The deal was for us all to move away, stay away from Sam and keep our mouths shut about the rape and they wouldn't report dad and Emi's mum.

Seeing as Sam's drug test was positive it made things easier for them. They told her Grams she wouldn't have a chance to press charges anyway. So they offered her two hundred and fifty thousand pounds to buy that house and set some money aside for things they badly needed. After what dad said today it somehow makes sense. She knew she wasn't going to win anyway, instead Sam would have gone through hell in court only to have no justice in the end. They probably wouldn't have even been able to afford a decent lawyer and Michael's family were known to be one of the best. They wouldn't have had any chance. Sam's family never had much money, they always just only made it. Living from the tiny pension her Grams was getting would have made things impossible. Possibly she would have even been forced to give Sam into foster care. So she took the money for Sam's sake, so she could at least have a life in some kind of way.

Michael's family, my parents and even Emi's parents, all of them deserve to rot in hell.

All those years I also held grudges against Sam's Grams, but after thinking about it now, I really do get it. She was kinda forced too. Just another figure they played to get what they want. And she had to decide in which way she could protect Sam best. Knowing and seeing all of it now all my anger I ever had against her has subsided.

Once I finish the full story, Evans looks absolutely shocked.

"You hate me now, don't you? You hate me, for what I did then and for what happened today. It's all my fault and I deserve the hate, so I guess it's ok, simply needed to finally tell someone about it."

Evans shakes his head. "No mate. For the first time I understand why you lied at the time, all along there was some rest anger in me for what you did to her back then. Somehow, I thought all you did, was protect your best friend and ditch your girlfriend for it. I couldn't get my mind wrapped around it, neither how Sam could forgive you something like that. She did mention you had some reason."

"I had told her I had to protect my family at the time. I gave her a hint, but until today she didn't know the real reason. Gosh this was the worst way she could have found out."

"Don't blame yourself, you were a fucking kid at the time and your parents made you do an impossible decision. Which child wouldn't protect their parents?"