O.W.Ls

Chapter 31: O.W.Ls

The next day, it was the first day of the O.W.L exams in which was on a Wednesday. Every fifth year felt under pressure as their schooling years so far had lead up to this. If they got below 'acceptable' they'd be in trouble. Especially Lucy. 

She'd been making sure she'd got as much studying in as she could. Despite the fact Shona had teased her, she had made a revision timetable and highlighted the areas she needed to work on. She wasn't just trying to pass her O.W.L's for herself but for Snape as well, she wanted to do him proud. 

Lucy was sat on her bed that very day with a charms book in her lap, skimming the book and then looking at her notes to confirm what she had read. She had two Charms tests today, first off she had a practical exam in the morning and in the afternoon a written one. 

She had officially two weeks of exams to endure and she was completely stressed. She had to pour over every text book until she knew it all...

When she thought she had finally re-capped enough, she closed the text book and Jessica walked into her room. She closed the door behind her awkwardly and then looked at Lucy who forced a smile. 

Be nice. She told herself. Dad said if you need to talk to anyone, Jessica was a good option. 

"Good morning," Lucy said. Jessica smiled back and stood there and Lucy gave her a look. "Can I help you?" 

"Oh!" Jessica was suddenly aware of what was going on. "I just came in here because...I..."

"Yes?" Lucy encouraged, feeling like her father when he was singling out an unfortunate student in class who didn't know the answer to his question. 

"I just came to wish you good luck in the O.W.L, I hope you get good grades. You're such a good student and I really hope you get what you want." Jessica tucked a lock of hair behind her ear and was about to leave when Lucy stopped her. 

"Wait." 

"Huh?" Jessica turned around to face her and Lucy stood up. She thought it was time she thanked Jessica for being so kind to her, from rescuing her at Christmas when she fainted in the snow, to when she let Lucy stay in Snape's quarters when he had been fired. Jessica didn't have to do that, yet she had. It was time Lucy stopped ignoring Jessica's kindness and begin to accept it and start talking to her. 

"Thank you," Lucy whispered as she got up. "Thank you." She hugged Jessica and she was taken aback. 

"Y-You're welcome." Jessica stuttered. Lucy let go of her and then walked to her door but she paused. 

"You know I meant what I said back in Spinners end. You know, you being like my mother." 

And with that, Lucy left her room and went down to the great hall where she would do her first exam. 

*       *       *

When Lucy arrived outside the great hall, she saw Shona standing there with her hands in her pockets and her sleeves were rolled up — as usual — and looking rather glum. Lucy walked over to her and smiled, Shona looked up from the floor and saw her friend. Luckily for her, she didn't have to lift her head up too much because unfortunately Lucy wasn't exactly someone you could call 'tall.'

"Hey, Lucky," Shona said as Lucy straightened a pleat that had got out of hand on her skirt. "How did work experience go?" 

"Quite well," Lucy nodded in approval and she went on to explain how Fudge had showed her the two secret rooms in the Ministry and how one of them consisted of weaponry. Shona gasped and whistled at all the right places, like a good audience would (if it wwas made of many Shona's that is.)