One month after the accident

I was nervous. Very nervous.

The air inside my apartment felt colder than usual. I turned on the heater in the kitchen and closed all windows but it just didn't seem to help. Berry tried finding a warm spot on the couch in the living room but he ended up on my bed, cuddling into the blanket. Joining him would have been a great idea, but I was busy chewing my nails in the kitchen, waiting for the doorbell to ring.

Jaebum told me he would be there by ten, but then again, who am I to trust him? He told me he would talk to me and took 20 days to do so. Being on time was surely not one of his talents - I thought.

Right when the clock's hand landed on 10, the ball rang. I jumped, getting up right away to open the door, Jaebum greeting me with a slight nod of his head. We didn't exchange words at first, I just stepped aside to let him in, walking to the living room together. Just one second later Berry came from the bedroom, greeting the visitor with a soft bark.

"So ... uhm ..."

I didn't know how to start, Jaebum was busy patting Berry's head.

"Your dog is cute."

My eyes stopped as they landed on Jaebum's hands. "Thanks, her name is Berry", I answered hesitantly. I felt out of place. He didn't visit me to talk about my dog. The silence was threatening to drive me insane. I wasn't sitting in the kitchen nervously to receive silence.

"You wanted to talk about-"

"Hyunjin, yes." He sat up straight, looking at me now. "First of all I'm sorry for my late message. Something came up and I had to leave the city for a while. Is Hyunjin fine? I wasn't able to check on him yet." Jaebum took out his phone, scrolling through what seemed to be his gallery.

"Yes, Hyunjin is fine", I mumbled, watching his finger swipe back and forth. "I actually haven't seen him in a few days but the doctor said he would inform me if something important happens."

"Mhm." He opened a folder and turned off his display, placing the device on the table in front of the couch. "You see, Chan. I never trusted you, nor did I like you."

Why was I not at all surprised to hear that?

"Believe me or not, Jaebum, that was quite obvious", I spat, regretting my words a bit. But I said what I said.

"Has Hyunjin ever told you anything about him that included his past in any way?", he asked me, ignoring my words.

It made me think back, but I couldn't remember a time Hyunjin told me anything important from his past, just little things. But Seungmin once said something that might have had something to do with Hyunjin's past.

"No, Hyunjin didn't, but Seungmin once said he shouldn't fall in love again. So I figured he must have been in a relationship some time ago?" Maybe I was digging too deep and just made things up, but maybe I was right. I wouldn't have been surprised to know that Hyunjin had someone before me, I mean he's gorgeous. 

"Well, yeah." Jaebum leaned back, folding his hands together. "Hyunjin was in love once before he met you, and this love got him into the accident that stole his hearing."

I wasn't sure what to expect now. I couldn't say a word, nor did I want to stay quiet, but Jaebum continued anyway.

"His name was Jinyoung, one of my old friends."

_

"You could just call Jisung, you know? I know it's not easy without him but he's not dead, Minho."

The elder opened his seventh can of the poisonous liquid he had been pouring down his throat ever since he lost his significant other. There's no one to stop him and his family wouldn't even care. He even showed up drunk and wasted to class once, but since his friends noticed, they wouldn't let him come anymore.

"Changbin-" Minho took a deep breath, talking became a challenge some minutes ago since he was short of breath. "Instead of calling me ... you- you could jus' care bout your own bullshit, y'know?"

He tried hitting the red button multiple times, making sure to end the call before Changbin could say any more words that were supposed to help him.

Nothing was there to help him and Jisung moved to Malaysia. He probably already forgot about Minho and found himself some other Malaysian dude who charmed his pants off.

"Fucking bastard." 

Those words were directed towards himself. He couldn't blame Jisung. Jisung was mentally stable and tried staying as positive as he could all the time, Minho couldn't. Minho could never think about moving on. And he most certainly wasn't mentally stable. He blamed himself for letting Jisung go. Minho could have offered to let him stay at his place. He could have tried to convince his parents to let Jisung stay, but it was too late.

"You're such a fucking bastard."

He lost him.