Episode 6

Every service, every private company showed up with a float to show support for their LGBTQ colleagues and clients. Pride was such a huge event in Soho and everyone got involved. If you lived anywhere near, it was difficult to step out of your front door and not see what was going on. At the very least, you'd hear the loud dance tunes for miles around. In previous years Danny Davies had locked himself in his room and turned the TV up loud so he couldn't hear it. This year, he sat listening from his boyfriend's apartment, wishing he was there with him.

Next year, he said to himself. This year the most important things were working on himself and putting right the events of the past. Perhaps in another twelve months, everyone would have forgotten about the things he'd done. Maybe then Jack's mental scars would have healed after the attack. Maybe that kid he threatened with a knife after they'd had sex would even forgive him. He'd thought about that day a lot. Understandably he'd blocked Danny on his hook up app. He wished he could see him and apologise for the way he treated him.

But for now, he'd just listen to the sounds and think about Ocean.

Ocean was having a great time already. The day would be different to most days at Pride. This would be the first one he'd be spending with a four year old girl, so it would be tamer than usual. He'd had a beer already, but didn't want to get too drunk in from of her. He'd have to leave that until she was tucked up in bed. He had to watch his language. He didn't swear all that much, but occasionally a cuss would slip out. He didn't even want to smoke in front of her in case she breathed in his fumes.

She looked so excited that she could explode as she watched the colourful floats go by. She kept screaming, look at that one! look at that one!

Michael and Sam watched happily as their little girl reacted so gleefully.

Just down the road, Milo and Max reacted with just as much excitement. Max stood behind Milo with his arms round his waist. They were overjoyed to be at their first Pride. They'd both dreamed if this moment for so long. It felt even better being here with a boyfriend.

The floats seemed almost endless. It was a good hour before they'd all passed.

'Come on,' said Jack.

'Where are we going?'

'We'll follow them down to the park.'

They joined the crowds of people all going in the same direction.

'What's it like at the park?' Milo asked Jack.

'You're going to love it,' said Jack.

Ali and Kai walked behind them, hand in hand. He had no idea at what point in the day he was going to propose, but he knew it would be sometime today. He had butterflies in his stomach, a mix of excitement and fear. He knew they hadn't been dating all that long, but he knew she was the one. He didn't see the point in waiting. He just hoped that she felt the same way.

Jack had his phone out, taking pictures of everything that was going on around him. Even though he'd been going to Pride events for a few years now, he still found it just as exciting. As he took photos, he saw his dad's face pop up on the screen. He swiped to accept the video call.

'Dad!' he shouted excitedly.

'Hey Jacky boy. How's Pride?'

Jack was so excited to see his father's face. He hadn't seen him in over a month. He was currently living in a hotel and was a contestant on the TV show Drag Superstar. They were allowed to call their families once a week, which was usually Saturday morning.

Jack turned his phone around to give his dad a full view of what was going on around him.

'But never mind that, you were fucking amazing on last week's show.'

Jack's dad, AKA Miss Vivienne had made it through to the semi-finals of the show. It had been shown every Sunday live at Tramps Bar, the place that Miss Vivienne worked as a drag queen/bar maid/DJ. It was the final on Sunday night this week.

'Ahh, thanks Jack. I'm having the best time and I've made so many amazing friends. I can't believe it's going to be over in a few days.'

'It's not over by a long way, Dad. It's just the very start of something amazing. You're going to be in serious demand after this. You're going to have venues from all over the world wanting to book you. Plus there's the hundred grand you'll get for winning. Imagine what you can do with that.'

'Let's not get ahead of ourselves. There's no guarantee I'm going to win it.'

'Oh, of course you are. Those two other queens aren't a patch on you.'

'But they're much younger than me.'

'That just means they're less experienced. You can tell as well from some of the looks they give on the runway. If last week's show had been the final, you'd have won hands down.

'Well I appreciate your faith in me, but I'm your dad, you have to say that.'

'I'm saying that because you're the best. I've always known that, ever since you took me to work as a kid and I used to watch you from the backroom.'

Miss Vivienne wiped a tear from her eye.

'Thanks Jack.'

'I mean it Dad, I'm so proud of you.'

That was all it took to make the tears come faster and harder.

'I'm sorry Dad, I didn't mean to make you cry. I don't want you to smudge your makeup.'

'I don't care. I'd do my makeup a million times to hear those words from you.'

Vivienne knew how lucky she was to have Jack as his son. Many kids would have turned their back on a father who dressed in women's clothes for a living, but not Jack. He was always so proud of what his dad did and who he was. But he'd never heard him say he was proud of him before. It suddenly all became worth it. Even if he didn't take the prize home on Sunday, he was already a winner.

Author's Note

Can Miss Vivienne take the prize. All will be revealed soon.

Hope you enjoyed the chapter. If you did, please consider giving me a like or a comment.

Peace x