Episode 19

Saturday night had been the most successful night that Charlie and Stuart had had since opening the bar. Their takings from the bar alone were through the roof, that's not mention their other sidelines. Each of the dealers and escorts who worked there had made more in one night than they often did in a month (which Stuart and Charlie took their cut of too).

If Saturday was busy, then they knew Sunday had the potential to be an even bigger earner. People tended to spend the full day drinking in Soho. They'd all need something to keep them going for a long day of partying.

After opening the doors just a couple of hours ago, they were already packed out.

Milo felt uncomfortable going in there. He knew why people went in and he wasn't interested in that. He'd seen Jack and Ali dabble in drugs from time to time, but only occasionally. They'd never offered him any and he'd never asked. There was a joint understanding there.

They pushed through the crowds to get to the bar. Jack stood on his tiptoes to get the attention of one of the bar staff. Milo held back. Not only did he not usually get served in there, but he also didn't want to get involved whilst Jack was buying his supplies.

Milo felt his phone buzz in his pocket. He took it out to see it was a friend request. He opened up the app and saw it was from Sam.

Milo hadn't planned on contacting him again. Max had advised him against it and he had agreed it was the right thing.

'Everythink okay?' Max asked.

'Yeah, it's fine,' he replied. He closed the app down and put his phone away.

Jack came back with the drinks and they went out into the street with them.

'You get something?' Ali asked.

'Yeah.'

'What?'

'Pills.'

'Nice.'

Oscar also wasn't interested in anything like that, but he wasn't going to start telling him what to do. They'd only met each other again a day ago, so didn't feel he had the right to do so.

They all talked and laughed. Even Ali who had been in a foul mood because of her fall out with Kai was starting to become more animated. Probably something to do with the fact she'd consumed several drinks.

Now it was Milo who was in a mood. He tried to shake it, but he couldn't stop thinking about the friend request he'd received from Sam. He knew he should have rejected it straight away, but he kept having thoughts about what had happened in the cubicle that day with him. It was clear that Sam was still into him, but nothing had changed as far as he knew. Sam was still a married man with a family. What they'd done was wrong. He was doing the right thing by not accepting the friend request. He doubted by clicking accept that would be the end of it. If he did, then Sam would be able to contact him again. Milo knew how little will power he had when it came to Sam. That was pretty clear from what had happened between them in the club.

But Milo couldn't get it out of his mind. Maybe Sam wasn't trying to contact him for a hook up. Maybe something had happened and he needed a friend to talk to. He knew that was unlikely though. Sam had other friends he could talk to, like...

'Ocean.' Sam stood up and kissed Ocean on the cheek.

'Hey Jack. Hey Ali.' He turned to Milo. 'Hey Milo.'

Milo knew that Sam must have spoken to Ocean about him, as he knew who he was. He wondered how much Sam had talked about him and what he knew. Had he told him what had happened between them six months ago, or even about last night in the club?

'Glad you could make it,' said Jack. 'No hangover from yesterday?'

'No,' said Ocean. 'I was working at the bar, then went home straight after.'

'You not tempted to go out?'

'No, Sam asked me, but I was too tired after work.'

Ocean looked at Milo, like he was uncomfortable mentioning Sam's name in front of him.

'It's strange not seeing Sam behind the bar at Tramps,' said Jack.

'It's even more strange not working with him,' said Ocean.

'How's he getting on in the new apartment?' Jack asked.

'Good. He's settling in all right.'

'He's moved?' said Milo. He tried not to look to interested as Max was sitting right beside him.

'Yeah, he's moved a couple of times since splitting up with Michael.'

'They've split up?'

Ocean's face filled with panic. He assumed that Milo would already have heard from Jack. He could tell by the look on his face that that wasn't the case.

'I'm sorry,' said Ocean, 'I...' but wasn't sure how to finish his sentence.

'It's fine,' said Milo. 'There's no reason why I should know. We split up ages ago.'

'Are you sure you're okay?'

'I'm absolutely fine.'

'Are you seeing anyone at the moment, Ocean?' said Jack, trying to change the subject. It wasn't a subject Ocean was particularly comfortable with, especially with the secret he was hiding from Jack.

'No,' he said. 'Are you?'

'Funny story, actually...'

Jack introduced Oscar and told him the story of how they'd met, both last year and again last night. As much as Milo tried to snap out of it, he couldn't stop thinking about what Ocean had said.

Sam was single.

But he was with Max.

But he and Max had an open relationship.

He was so confused.

'I'm just going to the toilet,' said Milo, standing up and excusing himself from the group.

He locked himself in a cubicle and took out his phone. He hadn't even had chance to look at Sam's Facebook profile. He flicked through the photos and status updates. He smiled at the sight of his ex-boyfriend's smiling face on his screen.

He closed the profile and his finger hovered over reject. But he couldn't do it. He started thinking about what happened between them yesterday, then of all the afternoons they'd spent in bed together. Instead he tapped his phone to accept the friend request.

He watched his phone for a moment before a message popped up. As he'd expected, it was from Sam. It said one word.

Hi.

Milo typed back.

Hi.

Author's Note

Hope you're all keeping safe. If you've enjoyed reading this chapter, please consider giving me a like or dropping me a comment. I love reading your thoughts on my little LGBTQ soap opera.