Episode 32

Charlie was totally confused when he returned back from the wholesaler. He'd had a bit of trouble starting his car on the way back, so had been much longer than he'd expected, but surely Stuart wouldn't have just shut up shop. The door was locked and all the lights were out. He hadn't realised the tonics had been quite so important. They had plenty of other drinks they could sell.

He took out his phone and tried to call his brother, but it went straight to voicemail. He took his keys out of his pocket, turned them in the lock and pushed the door open. It opened about an inch, but no further. There was a heavy chain on the inside preventing him from getting in.

'What the fuck?!' he said to himself, then walked around the the back door.

The back door was all bordered up. He had no way of getting in and no way of contacting his brother. He was totally confused about what was going on.

He went round the front again, looking for anyone that he knew. Maybe they'd be able to tell him what the fuck was going on. That was when he saw them walking down the street, Miss Vivienne and his son Jack.

'Vivienne,' he said. He was so surprised to see him. It had been Charlie who'd told him that he should enter the drag competition, so had been really vested in his progress. He'd missed him as a client, but also as a friend.

'You're back,' he said and gave Vivienne the biggest hug.

'Just for a little while,' said Vivienne.

'And you're a winner. I'm so proud of you mama.'

'Well I wouldn't be if it wasn't for you. This was all your idea, remember?'

'Well I take cheques,' he joked.

They all looked at the bar.

'Im sorry about what happened,' said Jack. The Soho grapevine had already gone wild. He'd received a message from someone he knew telling him about the raid. 'I thought you'd be down the station with Stuart.'

'What the fuck is going on?' said Charlie. 'The station?'

'You mean you don't know?'

'No. The bar was packed, then I went out for a few hours and came back to this.'

'Come on honey,' said Vivienne. 'Let's go get a drink and we'll talk about it.'

So they went to The Admiral and Jack told Charlie what had gone on. He told him all about the boy in hospital and how the police had shown up and arrested Stuart.

'You should probably go down there and hand yourself in,' said Vivienne. 'They'll probably go easier on you that way.'

The thought of going to prison scared the life out of Charlie. He knew what happened to guys like him inside. He'd be expected to continue his duties as a rent boy, but for free. But then he remembered something. It was Stuart's name above the door. Everything was in his name. Charlie had taken on responsibility of running the escorts and the rooms upstairs, which were strictly cash and no records kept anywhere. He also knew that Stuart would know this and never give him up.

'I've got to go,' he said.

'Are you sure you'll be okay. I can come down the station with you if you like?' said Vivienne.

'Thank you, but I'm fine.'

He kissed Vivienne on the lips. It was a long, sensual kiss that was thanking her for everything he'd done for him. Not only was Vivienne his most loyal customer, but also a good friend.

He went home first to pack a case, then drove his car to the nearest car dealer and took the best cash offer. Then he went into town, closed his bank account and took out everything in there. He then held out his arm to flag a taxi down.