Episode 18

The park was much quieter than it had been the previous day. Luke had heard that a lot of people skipped it on the second day in favour of an all day drinking session in Soho. But he wasn't ready that. He didn't want to go into Soho alone, so decided to go back to the park as planned.

He heard the voices of men shouting. He wondered if there was a some kind of trouble, but as he got closer realised that they were familiar sounds. That was confirmed when he saw something flying through the sky. It was a rugby ball.

He was confused at first. Why would there be people playing rugby at Pride event? He went to check it out. As he approached, he saw the ball flying through the air several more times. The shouting got louder. To his surprise, there were about a dozen guys running around, passing a rugby ball to each other. It made him think about his old friends and his days of being part of a team. He missed that so much.

He stood and watched, trying to work out what was going on. He was so lost in it all, that he didn't notice at first that someone was talking to him from behind.

'You interested?' the voice said.

It took s few seconds to register that the voice was talking to him. He turned around to see a young Hispanic guy, standing behind a stall. He looked at the sign behind the man first.

Soho Warriors.

'What is this?' Luke asked.

'We're the Soho warriors,' the man said. 'We're part of an all gay man's rugby league.'

Luke stared st the man with his mouth wide open. He'd always thought of rugby as something he'd done with his straight mates. He'd not considered even for a moment that there could be a team made up of gay men, never mind a league.

'You interested?' The man asked again. 'You look like you might be the athletic type.'

'I used to be part of a team,' said Luke, with a sadness in his voice.

'But your straight mates found out you were gay and didn't like sharing showers with you anymore?' said the guy.

How did he know that?

'I've been part of this team for two years and it wouldn't be the first time I've heard that story.'

'Right.'

'I'm Rico.'

'Luke.'

They shook hands.

'We practice Tuesdays and Thursdays. You should come along and check it out. They're a good group of lads. Very sociable. A lot of time the training sessions end up in the pub.'

Luke couldn't believe what he was hearing. Not only did he have a chance to be involved in a rugby team, but also meet like minded people.

Rico handed him a flyer. 'All the details are on there,' he said. 'Maybe see you there?'

'You'll definitely see me there,' said Luke excitedly.

'Great,' said Rico. 'Feel free to hang around and get to know the lads. We're here till five, then hitting the bars in Soho. Come with if you like.'

'I'd love to.'

Rico could see something in Luke. Not only that he'd make a great player for the team, but also that he needed it. The team had become such an important part of so many of their lives. He could tell already that Luke needed that bond of being in a team.

❤🧡💛💚💙💜

Sam decided to go to Tramps to catch up with the old gang. He didn't know what else to do with himself. Ocean was out with Jack today, which meant he'd be with Milo too, so he couldn't go there. Milo would no doubt be with his boyfriend. He hadn't contacted Sam like he'd said he would, so he assumed he'd changed his mind about meeting up again.