Hermione's Secret

Rosabella's Point Of View:
I was woken up by the muttering of voices. My head was pounding, I barely made out what the voices were saying.

"Shocking business . . .shocking . . . miracle none of them died . . . never heard the like . . . by thunder, it was lucky you were there, Snape . . ." A voice said, it sounded like the Minister.

"Thank you, Minister." I heard the unmistakable voice of Snape.

"Order of Merlin, Second Class, I'd say. First Class, if I can wrangle it!" The Minister said.

"Thank you very much indeed, Minister." Snape said, I could hear the smugness in his voice.

"Nasty cut you've got there . . . Black's work, I suppose?" The Minister asked.

"As a matter of fact it was a Black but not Sirius Black. It was Miss Black, Potter, Granger and Weasley." Snape responded.

"No!" The Minister exclaimed.

"Black had bewitched them, I saw it immediately. A Confundus Charm, to judge by their behaviour. They seemed to think there was a possibility he was innocent. They weren't responsible for their actions. On the other hand, their interference might have permitted Black to escape . . . they obviously thought they were going to catch Black single - handed. They've got away with a great deal before now . . . I'm afraid it's given them a rather high opinion of themselves . . . and of course Potter has always been allowed an extraordinary amount of licence by the Headmaster-" Snape said.

Snape was trying to convince the Minister to suspend us. I noticed Harry was listening too. He looked like I felt. Groggy. I sat up and looked around Winter was curled up at the end of my bed. When she saw I was awake she started wagging her tail and I scratched her behind her ear. Madam Pomfrey was helping Ron and Hermione who were also sitting up. When I caught her eye she pressed her finger to her lips and then pointed to the hospital wing door. It was ajar, that was where Snape and Fudge were talking.

Madam Pomfrey came over to us, walking briskly. She carrying very large blocks of chocolate.

"Ah, your both awake!" She said briskly.

I turned my head towards Harry and saw he had sat up too and was putting his glasses back on.

"How's Ron?" Harry, Hermione and I asked together.

"He'll live." She said grimly.

"As for you three . . . you'll be staying here until I'm satisfied you're - Potter, what do you think you're doing?" Madam Pomfrey said.

Harry had grabbed his wand and was on his way to standing up.

"I need to see the Headmaster." Harry replied.

"Potter, it's all right. They've got Black. He's locked upstairs. The Dementors will be performing the Kiss any moment now-"

"WHAT?" Harry and I screamed.

I shot up from my bed, Hermione did the same. The three of us were now on our feet. Our shout had been heard by the Minister and Snape.

"Harry, Harry, what's this? You should be in bed - has he had any chocolate?" Fudge asked Madam Pomfrey anxiously, looking agitated.

"Minister, listen! Sirius Black's innocent! Peter Pettigrew faked his own death! We saw him tonight! You cant let the Dementors do that thing to Sirius, he's -" Harry said urgently, but stopped when Fudge started shaking his head.

"Harry, Harry, you're very confused, you've been through a dreadful ordeal, lie back down, now, we've got everything under control . . ." Fudge said trying to calm Harry down.

"YOU HAVEN'T! YOU'VE GOT THE WRONG MAN!" I shouted.

"I know you want that to be true Miss Black, he is your father after all-" Fudge started to say, while trying to mask the glare he always had when he talked to a Black.

"Minister, listen, please. I saw him, too. It was Ron's rat, he's an Animagus, Pettigrew, I mean, and -" Hermione said desperately.

"You see, Minister? Confunded, all of them . . . Black's done a very good job on them . . ." Snape said sneering.

"WE'RE NOT CONFUNDED" I roared.

"Minister! Professor! I must insist that you leave. They are my patients, and should not be distressed!" Madam Pomfrey said angrily.

"We're not distressed! We're trying to tell the what happened! If they'd just listen-!" Harry was saying angrily untill he got cut off by Madam Pomfrey shoving chocolate in his mouth.