one

__________

He was fire, pure, amazing fire, and I just couldn't feed the fire enough.

__________

F O U R
M O N T H S
L A T E R

__________

Kitioma Hadlee

Gryffindor parties are always the best parties, excluding Slytherins. Slytherin parties are more classy, whereas Gryffindor parties are wild and carefree.

I always love a good American party, but at Hogwarts, they are taken to the next level. New York? Please, try harder.

I gripped my boyfriend, Sam's, hand as we walked down the hallway on the way to a Gryffindor party. I had only met Sam two months ago, but it was clear that chemistry was between us. He, being a smart, caring Ravenclaw, and me, being an outgoing Gryffindor. We fit, like yin to yang.

Well, at least, that's what I thought.

"You said you wanted to talk to me before the party?" I say to him slowly. It is true, he said earlier that he had something to tell me before the party. I hoped it would be something sweet, like a necklace to show off my light green eyes. "So what do you want to talk about?" I ask as Sam leads me down a hallway, the corridors long abandoned.

He reaches a turn and once we turn the corner, him smirking, he presses me slowly up against the wall. His lips connect with mine and his left arm presses me tightly against the brick, his right arm clutching around my waist. His lips are tender, somewhat salty, bringing on a bittersweet taste to it. The kiss only lasts seconds, but it feels like years. I grin, but the upturn is more confused than happy.

"Sam, what-" I start after he breaks the kiss, but all he does is slip a note into my hand, and he is gone, leaving me to the empty hall.

Dear Kiki,

We have been dating for two months after I write this. I had to say goodbye to you one last time. I had to, or I never would have lived with myself. Kiki, it's not your fault, it's mine. Don't blame yourself for my actions. I don't feel the connection between us anymore. Maybe I was blinded by you, being so famous as the transfer student. But I don't want to keep hurting you anymore. So this is goodbye, Kiki. It was fun while it lasted.

-Sam

I stare at the note, my mouth agape. He's...breaking up with me? Excuse me? Before a party? Because he doesn't feel a connection? What kind of...what...

I'm suddenly glad I am leaning on a wall.

I slide down the wall, my breaths suddenly coming out choked and laboured. This can't be happening, not now. My face feels hot, to hot for comfort, and my hands tremble. I have never been broken up with, being only seventeen, as Sam had been my only relationship. He had been my first kiss. My first love. My first tear of betrayal to run down my face.

Is this what heartbreak feels like?

A choked sob escapes my lips and I break down, hurling the now-crushed ball of paper across the hallway. It hits the wall with a faint thud, rolling a few inches from the force of my throw. Tears stream down my face and my labored breaths get heavier and heavier. I feel like I'm going to have a panic attack, like my heart is beating out of my chest.