Chapter - 17

"No she's fine, I think. Yeah she just woke up. Connor was with her apparently. I was out shopping for groceries with Zach. I'll call you once I know more. I just got to the hospital. I really need to go. Bye!" I quickly put the phone away, Zach looking at me from the side, trying to see whether I am going to start crying now or later.

Rolling my eyes, I look to my right and raise an eyebrow. "What reaction are you looking for from me shithead?"

"I expected you to start crying." Shrugging, I tell him I'm not going to.

"There's nothing to cry about. She's up." Reaching the room, I let out one quick short breath and swing the door open. The next thing the entire hospital heard was a loud wailing scream that came from my mother.

"Valerie!" She almost pushed herself out of the bed and would've walked up to me had it not been the nurses and doctors around her settling her back down.

Smiling softly at the small little figure, I move around everyone and carefully throw myself on her, hugging her close. She starts sniffling, keeping me close till she could believe that I was actually here.

"My little baby. Why did you leave? You had me so worried! Don't ever do that to your mom!" Patting her back, I let her calm down, whispering sweet nothings in her ear, trying my best to comfort her.

An hour of poking and prodding later was when I decided to hit her with the news. Her initial reaction consisted of shock, then hurt and fury. RIP dad.

It was at the exact same time my father decide to rush in through the doors, hair disheveled and his uniform slightly crumbled.

"Eli... Thank god you're up. Finally." He mumbled, walking up to her and almost crying when she smiled at him. Ah the bond of soulmates.

Smiling softly at the two, I quickly dismiss myself, wanting to give them space.

"Oh no. You stay. Your father and I need to have some talk, you should hear." Dad winces the second he realizes she knows, looking at her guiltily.

Not me though. He hadn't once looked me in the eye in the five weeks I had been here. She thwacks him hard over his head, my dad muttering curses at the violent woman as he takes a seat beside her.

Zach laughs behind me, quietly telling me how my mum's and my actions are very similar. Nodding fondly, I laugh quietly.

"...hurt her like that! Are you crazy!? She's our daughter Jack! Not a nobody. How could you be so cruel as to let her go like that and then have the audacity to come and lie to me about it. She had no choice of anything! Can you imagine how scared she must've been? Do you think she hadn't hoped for you to save her from the situation? But what do you do? Try and hurt her! Her! My own daughter! What the hell were you thinking!?" My mom's voice grows louder at every word, till at the end she is seething and breathing heavily as she pushes dad away from her.

"She's his soulmate Elizabeth! You don't get-"

"I get it alright! I didn't want you as my mate either but still here we are aren't we? Don't you understand? It's not up to her! She didn't ask for any of this! I can't believe you would do something so shallow. Trying to hurt our own daughter..." She shakes her disappointed, pushing him away, "I don't even know you anymore. Get away from me."

He complies, looking helpless and for the first time since I arrived, turned to me and looked me in the eye. His eyes slowly trail down, lowering themselves before they settle on my wrists. The one that lacked his watch.

It seemed like he had noticed it for the first time.

"Where's your wa-"

"I threw it away." I couldn't help the anger that seeped out. "Meaningless things aren't something I find joy in wearing." Looking back at the sad figure of my mother, I sigh softly, holding myself back from saying more of what I wanted to.