Chapter - 31

*Darius' P.O.V.*

Red.

All I could see was red as I walked down the basement, looking for a particular peculiar person.

I could hear her. Even from here. Her hysterical wails repeated in my earpiece as I listened for her, the chip in her silky smooth hair that I had instilled in the café a week ago proving to be more useful than I would've thought.

What the fuck was I thinking? Leaving her back in that café while I could've taken her back with me? Not trusting her? Where the fuck had my mind vanished?

I take the earpiece off, trying to listen where her cries were actually coming from, fury blinding me at the thought that such a precious person was kept in a place like this. Zach and Hunter both looked alert, anger hidden behind their taut features as they thought of her being hurt.

Her cries suddenly grew more loud and panicked, making me hasten my steps. Had someone come for her? I turned another corner in the dungeon, my eyes immediately falling to the small dark room at the end of the hallway where the small bundled up figure of her sat in the corner, all curled up into a small protective bubble, her shoulders shaking as sobs raked through her little self.

She was shivering and shaking, her loud cries hurting every inch of me. I had nearly killed Zach when I had felt the sharp quick pain in my abdomen, while the fucker Montgomery said shit to her about killing me, unaware of me hearing every word.

She looked so scared. I had never seen her so... broken. Fucker will pay. Oh yes he will. I took another step, trying to keep them quiet, not wanting her more scared.

I realized quickly why her cries had gotten louder when I saw no one around, Montgomery's words that were told to her coming back to me. 'The next time I see you will be to deliver the news that I have ordered my men to kill your mate'. His next words also repeated itself in my mind, my fist clenching at the fact that he had threatened to touch her.

I opened the cell door she was in with minimal efforts, hating the way she still hadn't looked up and was whimpering loudly now, incoherent words leaving her lips- the only words I caught being 'please don't. No.'

"Valerie." I spoke softly, trying to be as gentle as I could, afraid she would break. She was so unlike herself. So small, so hurt, so exhausted.

She stiffened, her hitched breath audible to everyone as I quickly softened my hard expressions, waiting for her chocolate brown orbs to look up. Come on little one.

Almost as if she could hear my thoughts, she looked up, her eyes widening as she saw me. I stared at her, my nails digging into my palms at her condition, not even caring that I was hurting myself. Her palms that were around her forearms dug into her skin tightly as well, drops of blood pouring out as her nails dug into her flesh, and it seemed she didn't even realize she was piercing herself.

I raked my eyes up and down, my teeth gritting and jaw clenching at her look.

Her beautiful, absolutely gorgeous face was covered with blood, a long horizontal cut on adorning her neck with dried up blood, her hands holding multiple small cuts while her top looked more brown and red than white. The worst and the most painful sight to take in were her eyes.

Her usually fiery bright eyes that always held a smart daring edge looked dull and tired, red and puffed up from the crying, her brows that were always raised in defiance laying low, scared. Her pale smooth skin was covered in blood, parts that weren't red from crying. I had heard her cry the entire plane ride over here. The entire fucking time.

I had heard her cry herself to sleep at night, her talk with this 'Anne' person and her fights with Zeke. That fucker had hit her way too much. The fucker had starved her, he had fucking tortured her. He had tried breaking her. I looked at her form, letting my eyes rake over her quickly, proudly thinking about how strong she had remained.