Chapter - 26

"He didn't." I sighed annoyed, clanking the chains together, annoyance clear in my voice. I had just woken up after I fell asleep on the plane and from the way the bed felt, I was pretty sure we were back home and from the weight on my wrists I also knew I was chained.

"I did." A voice called from the dark, the silhouette of a man sitting on the couch registering in my eye as I look in the dark room.

"Turn the lights on and get these chains off of me Darius!" I yell, pulling at the chains.

"What you did yesterday was idiotic little one!" The voice boomed, the sudden menace in it making me jump, "I do not care how perfectly or skillfully you dealt with it, you risked your life and I cannot allow that to happen again! I am furious at the fact that you risked your life for someone. You do not do that! Am I clear!?"

My chin was grasped, green eyes shining bright with anger and worry clear in them burning through me.

"Get these chains off of me Regio." I snarled, holding the chain up. They weren't even cuffs. They were chains. Literal chains. I pulled them confused when they easily extended and noticed that they were long. Way too long. What the-

"They are long enough for you to move around in the room easily. I had them installed while we were in the air. You can move around easily. And they won't hurt." He sounded bloody proud. Are they long enough to be wrapped around a neck!?

Fuck his idiotic mind.

"How could you?" I whisper hoarsely, continuing, "After talking and apologizing about my dignity and my honor and this is the next thing you do? Did you not mean a word you spoke of? Was that all a ruse?" I question, knowing in my heart he did. I was just trying to guilt trip him. Darius wasn't a man that would say things just for the sake of it.

His grasp on me tightened, pulling me in till I couldn't see anything other than his dark fathomless eyes.

"Every word I spoke came from my stone cold heart little warrior. Do not question my words because words that come from stone are never lies. I meant every word, I swear on my life. But I am not going to remove these chains. Never again are you going into harm's way. I almost lost you."

The bucket of water finally turned, soaking me with the truth.

He had been afraid.

Cupping his cheek, enjoying the way his eyes briefly closed at my touch, savoring it, I smiled up at him.

"I was afraid as well." I murmured, voice low, "So fucking afraid when I saw you holding your head and groaning in pain because of me. I was afraid I had made the wrong choice and I was ashamed that you were suffering because of me. You're my weakness Regio and I know how much terrifying that thought is. But do you know what else you are? My strength. Do you really think I could've managed to look past the pain? No. I'm not that strong. I couldn't have. But it was you that made me look up. It was you that made me grab the dagger and it was you that gave me strength when I tore that belt off of me. You. It was all you. It was your well-being that made me want to fight. I was ready to give up." I whisper, my voice cracking.

"I may have made a mistake by being impulsive but I hope you can understand why I did. You fought for your belief, I fought for mine. I'm sorry for getting hurt, but I'm not sorry for fighting and saving a poor girl. Her screams would've haunted me for the rest of my life had the man actually cut her flesh. I'm so fucking sorry you had to go through the pain you felt because of the mate thing and I hope you can forgive me for it but I need you to understand that I had to fight back. Please don't do this." I whispered the last part barely audible, gulping. I could only hope he'd let me free.