Chapter Three

Zina.

The girl I paid $20,000 to have. Something about her is different. There is this look in her hazel eyes that tell a story her lips cannot. The fact she was up for sale at an auction is not what's the most surprising either.

Why was I at the auction? Well my best friend of twenty years, Nick heard about it through the grapevine and thought to check it out. His lucky go friendly attitude thought 'why not make Mathias tag along.' 

Nick begged me saying I should live a little. He lives enough for the two of us trust me. Since I was kind of curious I went. It couldn't hurt right. It's not like I planned to buy anything, granted I have the money so if something does pique my interest I can afford it. 

The auction was held in a secret location out in the middle of nowhere. How Nick knew the location, I don't know. We were directed down into what appears like a WWl underground shelter. We enter and walked forever. Only knowing the way because of the people in front. 

The path widens out to a large space with chairs, a stage up front. Nick sat but I stood. Surveying the room I recognize a few wealthy people. The head of a shipping company, a man who is CEO of a media conglomerate, the list went on. All here for the same thing. 

The room slowly filled up until there are many others standing in available corners. A man walked on to the stage well dressed, scoping the crowd. He introduced himself and the event letting everyone know there are precious, priceless items up for bidding tonight. He ended saying all purchases are final with no refund. 

"Now with the pleasantries out the way. Let the auction begin." 

I only realized what kind of auction it was when the first person came on stage. It was a young girl looking maybe twenty. She had pale skin with long raven hair, big almond shaped eyes, a round face, and small noes and lips. I couldn't make out the color of her eyes with the harsh light shining in her face. 

What I did see, is she looked under fed and extremely thin.

Right away the bidding started at $5,000. After the bids started coming in I blacked out. I don't intend on buying a person. I tried to leave but wasn't allowed until the auction ends. So I patiently waited staring off into space thinking about Ashley. 

Ashley the woman I've been sleeping with for a couple years. We have a mutual agreement to sex without any strings attached. She's beautiful, smart, and charismatic and there's no feelings involved. We use each other for pleasure and that's it. It's more convenient for me since I'm a prominent figure in the media. 

Its speculated that we're in a relationship but that's far from the truth. The only upside is it keeps other women at bay. If they believe I'm in a committed relationship I'm not a target anymore. After all, there is no fun chasing an already kept man. 

When is this thing gonna end? I'm ready to go. I come to watching the auctioneer sell a teenage boy. He is lead off the stage somewhere.

"Now lady's and gentlemen. Its sad to say, but the next is our last one for the evening." 

I watched excitedly. After this I can go home to fuck Ashley. Nick really wasted my time. A girl is brought onto the stage. She is tiny and small, in a torn dress. Her hands are tied in front her. She stares into the distance with indifference.

The harsh yellow light makes her golden-brown skin sparkle. She looks dirty and under fed but there is something different about her. Her hair is so unusual it looks like thick strands have matted together and over time stuck into clumps on her head. I've seen hair like this once before when I was vacationing in the Caribbean. 

What is it called a again? Dred locs. Even with her dirty disheveled appearance, she is remarkably beautiful. In a kind of fragile, broken jewel kind of way. Her face stares off into space. Almost like she not here in this room. I can't see her features. Even so there's something about her that pulls at me like we're magnets on opposite ends. I have to have her. 

Nick elbows me out my fascinated stare. 

"Mathias, see something you like." I just nod. Literally speechless at the girl on stage.

The bid starts and I wait before entering the fold. Someone on the left shouts $10,000. Wow, this is really happening. I'm thinking of buying someone whose right now is worth $10,000. Who knew the night would play out like this? Certainly not I. 

It continues with her price getting higher to $15,000. I guess I'm not the only one who wants her. I need to make an offer. Without any planning, I raise my hand saying loudly $20,000. The room becomes so quiet, everyone stunned by my offer. No one says anything for 10 seconds until I hear 'going once, going twice, and sold for $20,000.' Shit, I really just bought a person. 

"Mathias dude you got her man." 

Nick's joking voice is in the background as I'm still shocked. The rest of the night is a blur. I remember paying with my black card. Signing a non-disclosure agreement then the girl is bought to me. Nick, her, and I leave the auction going above ground. 

He pats me on the back and wishes me goodnight. Nick goes his separate way speeding off into the night in his Ferrari. I take her to my own car and strap her in the back seat. Getting in and doing the same. Before I drive away I glance at her through the rearview mirror. Her eyes a bright hazel. She's beautiful. I pull off with her falling asleep. 
....

Zina is an anomaly. A mystery I want to solve. I have so many questions. How did she get to becoming auctioned? Why is she alone without any family? Why doesn't she speak? Is she mute? How old is she? From looking I would guess she's nineteen. 

I still don't know much about her. No one other than Seline and Nick knows about her, knows she's living in my mansion. I'd like to keep it that way. I haven't had Ashley over since the auction. That night I called and canceled our plans to meet at my place. She sounded angry over the phone but tried her best to not show it. 

Ashley knows the second I feel she's in too deep I will cut her loose. For now, I'll keep our engagement until I decide I've had enough of our serenade. But back to Zina. When she asked me those questions this morning it made me realize I really don't have a clue why I bought her. 

I'm sure I'll figure it out. The car ride into the city is fairly quick. My driver Richard a burly quiet African American man so quiet, sometimes I forget the sound of his voice. What he lacks in the expressive department however he makes up with efficiency. He is the best driver/bodyguard I've had. Richard spent ten years in the navy. He is, was a skilled black ops who is ruthless with a weapon. 

He can kill someone with just about anything. Even something as minuscule as a spoon. I've seen it happen. 

The Mercedes pulls up to the tallest skyscraper in downtown Chicago. It holds my company King Enterprise, after Mathias King. Self-made Billionaire who is worth 174.5 billion dollars. That story is for another day. 

Richard parks and smoothly unlocks my door. He bids me fair well then drives away. I enter King Enterprise through the revolving doors. Stepping pass the large reception area. The guards/receptions are sitting behind a desk dressed impeccably on the left. 

As I pass them heading to my private elevator they nod. I tip my head as hello. People are quick to part for me like its the red sea as I walk through. My elevator opens with a black card, CEO written in gold. Its the only way to use this elevator. The only other people who own one is my personal assistant Olive and Richard. 

I enter the lift and it ascends to the 44th floor. King Enterprise tower has 101 floors in total. I'm warmly greeted by Olive once I exit.

"Good morning Mr. King."

"Morning Miss Reed. I'll like my morning coffee in a few minutes." 

Reed smiles at this.

"Sure Mr. King." 

Olive knows how I like it strong black, no creme with a pinch of sugar. Not the best tasting but it's the way I prefer it. Olive jokes all the time that thankfully my heart isn't as black as my coffee. 

I head to my office. The large room has my work area, seating area, a table, and a private bathroom. The backdrop of floor to ceiling windows spread far and wide showcasing the alloy skyline of Chicago Illinois. A familiar sight that still amazes me. It is an expensive view I'm privy to. 

"Here you go, Mr. King. Just the way you like it." 

Olive place down a small ceramic cup on its twin coaster on my desk. She quickly leaves as quickly as she came. I sit in the comfy leather chair and sip away. Marveling at the coffee's bitter taste. It goes down nicely hot. I burn my lips but the natural stimulant energizes me so well it's worth it. If not for this cup every day, this business wouldn't run. 

I wonder if Zina likes coffee. There is so much to learn about her. I will be sure to ask later when I get home. Hopefully, she's not too bored with just her and Seline. I need to find out what she likes, get her activities to engage in throughout the day. Also, I need to get her a phone so we can communicate when I'm away. I sometimes go on business trips. 

Olive will take care of this. I dial her desk phone. She picks up right away.

"Mr. King what can I help you with?" 

"Ms. Reed get me a new iPhone 11 Pro in the gold. I need it set up and ready by the end of today."

"Is there anything else?" 

"No thank that's it. Thank you."

Olive will have it ready so there's at least one thing crossed off my list where Zina is concerned. Hopefully, she likes the color. I think the gold suits her. I hang up to start the day.

Don't forget to vote and comment below!!!