Chapter Eight

Three Weeks Later

Thankfully after that night, we went back to normal. I'm in a management meeting. It boring me to death so I zone out thinking about Zina. Since we've come to some sort of balance she's been doing better. Seline has mentioned her eyes not looking so lifeless all the time. Obviously there are still moments where she secludes into herself but not as much as when she first came to live with me.

Ashley calls and texts nonstop since I canceled on her. I haven't seen her in a while. I haven't had the desire to. I've been contemplating about Ashley and I's the arrangement. Whether I still want it to continue. Frankly, I'm getting tired of her. She's starting to become more clingy and attached which is a turn-off.

It was never in the agreement. I didn't sign up for a girlfriend and lately, it seems that's the role she's trying to fill. I need to cut her loose before it gets out of hand. Before she adds feelings to the equation. I don't think Ashley has feelings for me. I hope not but who knows. If she does it's going us ending will hurt even more for her.

Once the meeting concludes I head to my office. It's time for lunch. King Enterprise has an expansive high-quality food court. I don't always eat lunch there but whenever I do the food is great. My employees acknowledge all the time it's one of their favorite things about my company. It's something I think is important. Employees should have the luxury of great food choices where they work.

It helps, that it increases productivity, retention, and engagement levels. I leave my belongings from the meeting on my desk and go use the bathroom. I do my business then wash my hands. When I go back in Olive's line is blinking red.

I pick up. It's probably important.

"Hello, Ms. Reed."

"Good afternoon Mr. King. There is a Ashley Greene on line one asking to speak with you. It sounds urgent."

Ashley. I knew she would try calling the office sooner or later. I thought it would have been much later. I've been ignoring her calls and texts.

"Put her through. Thank you, Ms. Reed."

"Your welcome Mr. King. Putting Ms. Greene on now."

Olive hangs up and Ashley comes on.

"Mathias you've been avoiding me. Why?"

"We need to talk."

She laughs over the line. I don't know what's funny about what I just said.

"We do. We need to talk about you not answering my calls or responding to my texts."

"That's not what I was referring to. I want to end our agreement."

There is a short pause before I hear her screech out.

"What! Why? I thought you like what we have going."

I thought so too but I'm ready to move on. I don't say this though. I love my eardrums too much.

"I did but I need a change of pace."

"I don't understand. Where is this coming from all of a sudden"

"Ashley it's not sudden. I haven't spoken to you for weeks now. Obviously I don't want this anymore. I avoided you for a reason. I thought you'd get the message."

"Was I not good enough? I can do whatever you want me to do."

She's not getting it.

"I don't want to sleep with you anymore. This was never permanent. Only until one of us is ready to end it. I'm ready to end it. Nothing you do is going to change my decision."