Chapter Twenty Six

"Mathias where are we going?" I asked without opening my eyes. Silence is all I received. 

The last thing I felt was him picking me up and fastening my seat belt. I was out after that sleeping for majority of the drive to whenever we are now. His answer is silencing the engine. The abrupteness of it woke me. But still he didn't say where he took us so early. I kept my eyes closed because I'm tired but also I trust him to keep me safe. Mathias wouldn't take me somewhere that wasn't important.

"You'll fine out soon. Little one no matter what happens next know I'll never leave you." 

That wasn't the answer I expected. Mathias came out to my side. I was still groggy so he help me out his Jeep. I hold his arm tightly so I wouldn't fall when my feet touched the ground. The soil felt moist under my shoes. Liks it had drizzled the previous night. The air still has the ever present scent of rain and dew. 

Mathias locked up and lead the way up concrete steps. They led up to worn down looking brick apartments adjoined to several others in a row. The neighborhood looked to be in bad shape especially comparing to Mathias neighborhood. 

Who are we going to see? 

I didn't know Mathias knew someone who wasn't in the same standing as him. We walked up to the apartment on the very right. Mathias seems to know for sure where he's going. We went up to the old white stained door. Mathias punched in a set if numbers. Must be to call the person's apartment to let them know whe arrived. 

Shortly thereafter a buzzing sounded and Mathias pulls the door open. We enter and went around to the elevator. Not surprisingly there wasn't any sort of security to check us. Mathias. Press the elevator button and we waited for it. 

Its then that I finally took a second to look at him. His forehead was frowned and his eyes were shrunken like he was worried about something. I tap him and he's so struck in his thoughts he doesn't feel me.

"Mathias, are you alright?" 

"I'm fine little one." 

We stepped into the tiny elevator and Mathias pushed for the seventh floor. The are cracks on ten walls and the paint was peeling in the corners. The elevator slowly drifted upward at a slow pace. I hold Mathias tighter. I'm not afraid of small spaces but something about how slow its moving makes by skin crawl. Sadly we'll be taking it a second time when we leave this place. 

"Zina I need to tell you something. You're not going to like it baby but there was no other way."

"What is it? Mathias your starting to scare me." 

"We're here to see your mother."

Huh. 

"Why?"

Mathias turns me to face him. I stare up confused but also frightened. 

"I hope it wouldn't come to this. But unfortunately Zina in order for me to get her to sign way her parental rights, Jemila only agreed to do so if your there. I'm sorry it has to be this way." 

I hear the elevator stop as I process his admission. We're here to see my mother. He promised me that we wouldn't. Mathias draws me out the elevator.

"Zina say something. Yell at me get angry anything buy don't remain quiet. I can't handle your silence." 

I literally felt any words I could have spoken sucked out of me. I quickly mask my emotions in order room prepare myself for what awaits us. With my intent I put on my 'lets get this over with face.' 

Mathias reads it clearly and leads the wait to her apartment. He takes my hand. I hold his for support and strength I know I'll need in a few minutes we get further away from the scary elevator that doesn't seem so scary anymore compared to who's waiting. I wish I could go back to when I didn't know who we're meeting. 

When we get to her apartment. I grip Mathias hand tighter but he doesn't tense up or ask me to loosen my grip. He turns to me kissing my temple. I stand closer ro home after as he know on the door. Footsteps are heard coming over ro the door then it's the lock being flip to open the door. I keep my eyes downward. 

As soon as the door opens. My nose is hit with a familiar smelling perfume. Even though I can't name my mind knows whom the scent belongs to. 

"You must be Mr. King. Hello it's nice to meet you."

"Ms. Lewis there's no need for pleasantries. Let get right to business." 

His voice left no room for disagreement. He sound so stern and prominent. It's a voice I've never heard Mathias use before. Jemila got the message and holds the door open more so we can enter. She shuts it and come back rover leading us into a living room. There is a small two seater and one seater sofas. They look old but kept in good enough condition. 

I don't remember my childhood home but I know this isn't it. I'm sure it was kept clean like this apartment. That doesn't matter now. Mathias and I set in the two seater. Jemila sits in the ontehr one that on the right of the one we're in. Thankfully she's closer ro Mathias and I'm on his left so we are not bear each other. 

I don't think I can sit next to her. 

Mathais's grip loosens aon my hand so he can hold out a Manila envelope. All this time I didn't even realize he was carrying it. Mathias opens the envelope and lays out the papers on the coffee stand by his side. 

"As you know this is for signatures to annul your parental rights of Zina. Once they are signed you will no longer have any relation with her. My lawyer has previously mark with an X the lines you need ro sign. There are double as one is your copy."

"Can't I take sometime to read them first?" 

"Yes go ahead. Read them front and back. But I don't  take all day. I have another appointment coming up in  an hour."

Just sign them so we can leave. As if Mathias can hear me he rubs my thigh. It soothes me for a second but not long enough as the surrounding environment awakens my anxiety right after. I start questioning what if she refuses to sign. Mathias won't be able to get her to sign the papers. He'll have to leave me with her. I'll have to stay with her. I won't get to live with him. I-I will be abandoned again...

"Zina. Zina. Breathe little one. Breathe for me. Listen to my voice. You can do it."

"What's wrong with her?"

"I don't think that any of your concern. You've never cared about her well-being before. Sign the papers so we can go on our way." 

"You're right but why do you care." 

"Sign the papers Ms. Lewis. I don't like repeating myself." 

"Alright alright I'm signing them."

Thank god. I want to get out of here. Any longer and the smell of her will suffocate me. The aftershock of my panic attack has left me feel sweaty and icky and coughing on my own breath. I can't believe I had a panic attack. I haven't had one since eight years ago. My dreads feel like rope that are strangling me. Making it even hard her for me to get back to homeostasis. 

If not for Mathias I might have passed out already. I hear the faint click of the pen. It's done finally. 

"Here you make sure everything is correct." 

Shuffles of papers as Mathias checks them over. He flips through confirming everything is in order. Then hands her back her copy and re-file his own back into the envelope. He takes my hand again getting up with me. I barely could stand on my own strength. 

"We'll see our way out. Have a good day." 

"Okay Mr. King." 

Mathias lead us out her apartment me and when the door slams shut behind us dizziness takes over and I go limp. Thankfully Mathias is quick to catch me before I fall. 

"Little one, it's over now. I've got you." 

Hmm. Okay." 

Mathias picks me up carries me. Instead of using the elevator thankfully he takes the stairs. I close my eyes relaxing in his warmth focusing on taking deep breaths in and out. When we get outside the sun is brighter in the sky. 

Soon I'm being settled in my seat. Mathias climbing in an taking off. 

"How do you feel?" 

"I'm okay." 

"Okay. Don't scare me like that. I thought you fainted." 

"Sorry I couldn't help it." 

"I know baby. You had a panic attack. I'm sorry you had to face her. You won't ever have to see her again and this time I won't break my promise." 

"Okay. I forgive you. Take me home." 

"You got it. Let's go home." 

A/N

End of Zina book one. I've decided to split up the story and make a second book to continue Zina and Mathias story. What did you guys think of book one? Good, okay, bad? Please comment your thoughts if you think there stroy should continue.