Chapter Five

The next morning at 8 am sharp, I woke to Mathias knocking on my door. Just as he said he would. I grumpily got out of bed and went to take a quick shower. The hot water didn't help me. I stood underneath it like a zombie rinsing myself. It was to the point when I step out I nearly toppled over. As you can guess I'm not a morning person. Never was never will be. I hate waking up in general.

Why when I have nothing to live for? I would rather not wake up at all honestly. I dried then brush my teeth and wash my face. Afterward, I hold my dreads into I high ponytail using a few to hold the rest together. 

Venturing to the closet I ponder what to wear. There are so many choices. I hate making choices. How did Mathias know my size anyway? The people who sold me probably told him. I sort through the hanging clothes trying to decide but I can't pick out anything I like. 

I should just shut my eyes and randomly choose something.

"Zina are you ready for breakfast," Mathias asks through the door. I go over making sure my towel is secure first then open the door. 

Mathias is confused as he analyzes Zina still undressed state.

"Why aren't you dressed, little one?" 

She went to find her phone and typed in, I can't decide what to wear. I hate making decisions for myself. Mathias, please help.

Understanding the issue Mathias goes to Zina's closet. He looks through her clothes. Finally hands her a pair of blue Jeans and a ruffly yellow top with pink circles. He hands her a cardigan too in case she gets cold. 

"Here wear these. I hope this is okay." 

Zina is grateful he helped her. She shakes her head. Mathias pats the top of her head in his usual way. He exits her room shutting the door behind him. As soon as he leaves Zina dressed wearing everything he selected. She had to choose underwear herself but at least he helps with everything else. For shoes, she chose a pair of white sneakers. 

Not paying attention to the brand. Zina wasn't familiar with brand names and things girls her age would know. But she didn't care either way. Clothes is clothes. Once seated downstairs Zina and Mathia had their breakfast. An omelet and a slice of toast. Mathias has his daily cup of black coffee. Zina has tea after letting him know she dislikes coffee. 

Mathias liked she isn't afraid to tell him het feelings. He thought of himself as her guardian so he wanted to know more about Zina. The plates are left in the sink as the two head out. Mathias and Zina take his Jeep. It is so tall he has to lift her so she can get in the passenger seat. 

Mathias chuckles as he straps her in too. Zina's hazel eyes said she didn't see what's so funny. He pinches her cheeks messing with her further. 

"You're so cute." 

With that Mathias closes her door and hops in. The Jeep is the right size for him. Mathias held Zina's small hand to comfort her. He was only playing. She granted him with the smallest smile. He wondered if she ever smiled. Zina's face looks painful whenever she tries.

"I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings little one. I don't mean to be inconsiderate. Don't stay mad at me for too long." 

Zina turns away eyeing the scenery as he drove. She wasn't mad at him per say it's just her height is a touchy subject for her. After meeting her father, Zina felt she'd gotten the bottom of the barrel in the height department. Her father is almost as tall as Mathias. She felt she should be a few inches taller herself.

We all can't get what we want. Zina didn't say anything for the duration of the drive for obvious reasons. Mathias didn't either and surprisingly he didn't mind the silence between them. While he kept his eyes on the road Mathias would still glance over at Zina. 

She wondered if there is something on her face. Zina didn't ask him because he needs to focus on driving. The ride wasn't long. Mathias parked at a medical center shutting off the engine. He took Zina's hand again running his thumb over the smooth flesh. Compared to his hand hers is so small. Everything about her is smaller when compared to him.

If she wanted to he could easily hurt me. Zina should have grown scared at the thought but she wasn't. Somehow she was certain Mathias would never hurt her. He treated her better than anyone she's encountered thus far. Zina's skin grew warm.

"Let's go. I'll come help you out." 

Mathias was careful when helping her down. Effortlessly picking her up and setting her feet to the ground. His brown eyes raking up Zina's body from head to toe noting her outfit. She thought he chose a cute one.

Mathias without her knowing agreed. He likes the clothes he selected. They head into the medical center. Mathias spoke with a nurse while Zina stood next to him. She wasn't used to being around so many people at once so she remained extra close. Mathias observed this and rubs her hand soothingly. 

Zina didn't care to listen to their conversation. She zoned out trying to remember the last time she's seen a doctor. Zina couldn't remember for the life of her. After a few minutes more Mathias was given a clipboard with paperwork to fill out. The nurse directed them to the waiting area. 

He led Zina and point for her to sit beside him. She did and he went about completing the new patient application forms. The form asked for basic information about Zina's medical history. He leans in and whispered.

"Little one what's your full name?" 

Zina takes the form and pen to fill in what she knows. It would be easier than him asking every question. When she wasn't sure herself, she left the lines blank. Hopefully, it's okay because there are many blank lines. Zina gave Mathias the clipboard when she finished. 

He looked at it reading the information she filled in. Starting with Zina's full name Mathias read Zina Mae Coleman. He read the rest. As he'd guessed, Zina is 5'2. Once he read to the back he stood up taking her with him to nurse from before. 

She collected the clipboard.

"Have a seat. You'll be called when the doctor is ready." 

"Thank you," Mathias utters. 

He leads them to their seats again. They waited for fifteen minutes before a nurse assistant came and called for Zina. They stood and entered behind the nurse. Zina didn't feel nervous. She just wanted the appointment to end so she can relax. 

"My name is nurse Garcia. I'll be your nurse today Zina. After you meet with me the doctor will see you." 

Zina nods she understood. The nurse-led them to a room with an examination table, a computer, and a small chair. 

"You can have a seat here for me. Dad, you can have a seat in the chair." 

Zina did as directed. Resting her hands in her lap. The nurse shuts the door for privacy and signed into the computer. She came and started her routine check, first checking Zina's pressure with a weird machine. She said the numbers out loud then entered it into the computer.

"Zina your pressure is normal. Now I'm going to check your eyes, ears, and mouth." 

Zina nodded as the nurse held a thing with a small light in her eyes back and forth. She held it over the left then gen right. Then she looks in her mouth asking Zina to say Ahh. Finally, her ears noting everything is normal. Zina was then given a tiny thing to put underneath her tongue. 

There was a beep then the nurse removes it disposing of the clear long tube in the garbage. Zina is then given something to hold. 

"Zina can you look here for me. I need you to cover your left eye and say these letters to me. You can start whenever you're ready starting with this letter here." 

I look at the nurse then at Mathias. His eyes tensed up immediately understanding my discomfort.

"Zina doesn't talk. Is there any other way to check her eyes." 

"Mr. King sorry for my mistake. Yes, we can forgo this today and refer your daughter to an eye specialist. Is that okay?" 

"Yes thank you." 

The nurse entered the information into the computer. I hand her back the eye cover. 

"Well, we're almost done. All that's left is to check your weight than your body. Zina can you come and stand on the scale sweety." 

I sat up and stand on the scale. Nurse Garcia slides these notches over from left to right and then said.

"Your weight is 110 Ibs. You're a bit underweight but it's not severe. Dad, you need to make sure Zina is eating fruits and vegetables every day and drinks plenty of water. About eight glasses a day." 

Mathias answer. "I will make sure. Thank you, Ms. Garcia." 

The Nurse turns to me saying. "We're all done the doctor will see you guys shortly to check Zina. I will need a urine sample before you leave. Please come and see me once you leave."

I sit back where I was before and nod. 

"Thank you we will," Mathias says to the nurse as she leaves the room. She shuts the door taking the machines with her. Once we're alone I look over at Mathias. He gives me a smile.

"You did great little one. I'll get you a treat later." 

As soon as Mathias finished the doctor comes in. She's an older dark skin lady with graying roots. She gives us a friendly enough smile and closes the door. The doctor comes and sits at the computer pulling up my information. She hums holding the clipboard from earlier.

"Good afternoon. My name is doctor Gordon. I see here there are a few things left blank, for example Zina's age. Mr. King is there any reason this information is left blank." 

"Well doctor Gordon. I'm not Zina's biological parent and due to some personal reasons, Zina doesn't know her exact age. Zina believes she is 16 or 17. She was orphaned at nine years old. Is there any way to confirm Zina's actual age?" 

The doctor crossed her fingers. The look on her face morphed into one of concern. She observed Mathias and me before telling us. 

"Well, Mr. King I can look into Zina's old medical records from when she was younger. Hopefully, her parents brought her for doctor's visits in the past so her medical records may be out there somewhere. I'll see what I can do but it will take a few weeks. Please provide the front desk with a contact number before you leave today so I can reach you once I gather more info." 

"No problem doctor Gordon. Thank you."

"Your welcome and the good news is Zina's vitals look great the only concern is her weight. Mr. King can you explain the cause of Zina being underweight." 

"Yes. Unfortunately, when Zina came into my care she was severely underfed and malnourished. She's recently started putting on some weight for the three days she's been in my care. I'm not sure the reason she wasn't being fed." 

My eyes went back and forth between Mathias and the doctor. The doctor nodded then got up washing her hands.

"Thank you for explaining. I'm going go check Zina now" 

The doctor dries her hands before putting on gloves. She turns back to us.

"Zina do you feel comfortable with Mr. King being in the room while I check you here and here." 

At the same time, she hovers over the areas she'll check. I didn't mind so I shake my head mouthing yes. She nods okay and comes over to the examination table indicates for me to lay down on my back. 

I look over at Mathias seeing he's turned to the corner. The doctor pulls my shirt up and gently checks my breast. After checking both she pulls my bra in place. Then she tells me to unbutton my pants. The doctor checks below without touching me inappropriately. She then checks my lower stomach before letting us know. 

"All done. Looks like everything is good. Just from this physical exam, I would say Zina may be right. Zina is either 16 or 17. But with her medical history we'll know for sure. Also, we can find out if vaccinations are up to date." 

I button back up my pants and sit up when I'm situated. Mathias turned his attention to me. The doctor goes to wash her hands again with antibacterial soap and dry with a paper towel. 

"Mr. King, Zina your all set. Oh don't forget to leave your contact number and Zina needs to pee in this cup, up to this line. Is that okay with you Zina?" 

I nod for the millionth time. The doctor leaves us. I get up and Mathias does too. He picks up the small clear cup with a bright orange cap. We leave the room. Nurse Garcia waves us over. 

"Zina the bathroom is right down this hallway she points." 

I glance at Mathias before going to the bathroom. I hear them chatting as I walk away. The bathroom is for single person use. I head in locking the door. I put one of the seats covers things over the seat and pee into the cup. Little gets on my hand. But I make sure to cover the cup first then wipe myself, fingers, and it clean. Getting redressed I flush the toilet. 

This appointment took longer than I thought it would. I wash my hands, dry them then leave the bathroom. Going back the way I came. This time I see Mathias talking with the doctor. They end their conversation when they hear me. I wave goodbye to her and nurse Garcia as we head out. We go back the way the same route nurse Garcia took ending back in the waiting area. 

Mathias goes to the front desk he talks to the person sitting down. 

"The doctor said to leave my contact number on file. I need to get a referral for an eye specialist." 

The lady looks up. "One second. What is the name of the patient?" 

"Zina Coleman." 

"Please tell me the best number to reach you, sir. What is your name?" 

"My cell number is 917- 354- XXXX. My name is Mr. King." 

The nurse types in Mathias information. She searches for something. Soon she is getting up going to the big machine in the back. She gets the paper that came out. She hands Mathias the paper after circling something. 

"Mr. King this is the address and phone number of the specialist. Give them a call and make an appointment for your daughter." 

Mathias takes the paper. "Thank you. Have a good day." 

With that, we head out to his Jeep. Once again he has to pick me up so I can get in my seat. I put on the seatbelt myself though. He looks over at me smiling. He pat's my head before turning on the engine.

"That went well. Let's have lunch, little one." 

I nod yes then we're off on the road again.

Is it good so far?
Don't forget to vote and comment below!!!