Chapter Four

Olive delivered the phone to my office before she left for the day. She had it fully charged set up and ready to use. All I have to do now is show Zina how to use it. It's around seven as I gather my belongings and leave.

Olive left an hour ago. Her schedule is Monday to Friday ten to six. I usually work eleven to seven on most days but on Fridays, I sometimes come in earlier so I can end my day earlier. I send Richard a text so he'll be waiting outside.

Richard has my door open when I step out. He's quick to head on the road. Traffic is okay. I arrive home in thirty minutes. Seline should be getting ready to leave soon.

"Good night Richard."

Richard nods and drives away. Since I've been around him for so long I know he's not disrespecting me, it's just the way he is. When I go inside I hear the TV in the living room. Seline and Zina are watching some medical show. They both look up when they notice me.

"Good night Mathias. You're home so I'll head out. Have a good night you two."

Zina waves and I nod. Seline grabs her things heading out. She'll be back tomorrow in the afternoon. Her schedule like mine fluctuates between twelve to eight or ten to six. Some weekends she works four hours, from ten to two.

Zina's attention moves from the TV and focuses on me. I sit beside her.

"I have something for you."

Zina doesn't blink as I hand her the apple bag. She reaches in taking out her new phone. I had Olive find a cute case for it so if she drops it, it won't break. Will she like it? Hopefully.

Zina flips the phone confused as to what it is. She taps the screen and looks surprised when it lights up. She probably never had a phone before.

"Do you like it?"

She looks around for her pad. When she secures it Zina writes. She holds it so I can see.

It's pretty but what is?

"Its a phone little one. You use it to make calls, text, and basically anything else you like."

She turns her head. Writing I don't understand. Can you show me? Of course, she wouldn't Mathias. I take out my own phone. Mine the same 11 Pro but in black. I requested for Zina's number to be add to my contacts. I saved her name as Zina.

Scrolling through the phone I go to my contacts. Zina being recently added at the top. I press her name-calling her. The generic ring tone sounds surprising to her. With no idea what to do she stares at the screen.

"When you see this, it means I'm calling. To answer you touch this green button."

At the same time, I show her what I'm saying.

"Then you hold the phone like this," I say holding my own to my ear, so she can imitate what I'm doing. Zina is quick to follow.

"Hello. Zina its Mathias."

Zina points to the phone, then to me, then to her ear. Saying in her action she hears me. I nod then hang up.

"That was a phone call. Now I'll show you how to send a text message. This is how we'll communicate since you don't speak."

Zina stares at me. I pull her closer so we're touching elbow to elbow. I hold my phone in between us so she can see.

"These circle are called apps. Your phone has them too. To send a message, open the messaging app which is this one " I point to it waiting to make sure she sees before pressing.