:: 6 ::

FIRST DAY AND DOCTOR HANDSOME

Xiao Zhan P.O.V

If I say I don't do well with first days, I'd be lying. But when you've been living in Canada for fifteen years and coming back to your homeland which has a totally different culture, first day jitters are bound to happen.

In Westport middle school on my first day I was taken under the wing of the football kids. So I didn't have to be scared of being bullied or feel awkward not having friends on my first day. My best friend Julian who is one year older than me also my nextdoor neighbor helped me a lot. I remember telling mom how cool she is of being friends instantly with Julian's mom, Mrs. Grace Hudson. And thanks to my friendly nature and my mom and Mrs. Grace's friendship me and Julian's friendship kick-started. We would do everything together. We would go fishing together and as naughty as it sounds we would always pick on Eric Jung. But later me and Julian became friends with Eric.

On my first day in school, Julian took me to his friends and I never looked back. We became friends instantly. Despite being the football kids and picking on others, they're not really bad kids. They've always been there for me.

Oh! That reminds me, I miss Julian and I just called him last night. I mean of course. He's my best friend after all.

While thinking all these I made my way to the director's office. The lady in the reception told me I was to meet the director first to get my schedule assignment. The lady was quite pretty I'd say. But I'm just not the type to give in to everyone's flirting. I'm quite choosey. The first person I dated was in my high school, with Stacy Atwood, which didn't turn out as I thought. On my highschool homecoming night I broke up with her after dating for only two months and got asked out by Travis Iglesias on the same night. And even to my surprise I accepted. We dated for four years and then we broke up on my prom night. Why you ask? Well because I had to move for my medical studies to Toronto.

Travis was the only one I brought home to meet my mom. And they got along well. But not everything goes as planned now does it? That being said, I moved to Toronto. Had a few dates there but nothing more than that. So I'm still not sure I want to answer to anyone flirting with me. I'm not used to it anymore, even though my friends say I'm a flirting machine. I flirt not even knowing it myself. But whatever, where were we? Oh I'm in front of the director's office now.

The name tag in front of the office was engraved with three very meticulously written Chinese characters. Xiao FanYu. Yes, the director I'm going to meet is my dad.

I knocked on the door, because I had to. If I'm going to work here, I have to learn to get along with him. When I heard a low but clear 'come in', I entered only to see another man looking a bit older than me was in the office too. I greeted my dad and the stranger in the room with a little bow and a 'ni hao'.

"Zhan, have a seat."

And I take a seat. But one thing came to my mind. What is the other man doing in the office. He looks quite handsome. Wait, what am I thinking? Damn you brain! Stop doing that!

"Zhan, meet Dr. Yu Bin. He'll be your senior from now."

"Hello." I say. But immediately realise my mistake. I said that in English. But I remember dad telling me to interact in Chinese in the hospital. I let out an awkward laugh. "Uh, ni hao. I'm Sean Xiao. Please take care of me."

"Hello, Dr. Sean Xiao."

"Um, you can just call me Sean. It'll feel more comfortable. I mean if you don't mind."

"Oh, no, no. I don't mind." He gives me a beautiful smile that melts me to the core. He has a really beautiful smile. I was probably looking at him for a little too long. My dad's fake cough brought me back to reality. He was smirking at me. Wait, what?

"Ok then. I'll leave my son to your care and here's his schedule assignment. I believe you'd be the better person to help him understand it. I'll get going Dr. Yu. I've got to get to ward 45." And he leaves the room leaving a flustered me and Dr. Yu behind.

Dr. Yu is quite a helpful person. He does everything with an utter care, no matter it's job or something else. The patients love him. The way he talks is like he has a soul connection with the person he's talking to. He helped me calm down when I was nervous to meet my first patient. And without giving it a thought I grew an affection for him.

After I was done with my schedule for the day, I go into the locker room to change into my casual dress. But in the darkness I bump into someone. The person I bumped into looked up to me and I realised their eyes were a bit teary.

"Are you okay?" That was my first reaction. As the young lady was sitting down teary eyed at the corner of the locker room. I didn't know why but I felt like comforting her. She looked like a bit older than me and she's so beautiful that your eyes get comforted by looking at her.

"I'm fine. Don't worry about me." She says with a voice so soothing I couldn't just ignore it. I couldn't help sitting by her side, just sitting there and looks like she needed it. Even though she didn't say anything, she calmed down a bit. Her rushed breath became normal and steady. She was just looking in front of her, but I knew she was feeling helpful that I stayed there.

"Thank you." She finally broke the silence which I allowed to form. "I'll get going then." And just like that she leaves. I didn't know what to say. So I didn't say anything. Wait I didn't even ask her name or which department she's from. Aish, stupid me!

I was just going to stand up and get my bag when I found my cellphone ring. My Canada SIM card was discarded already and I got this new SIM card two days back. Only dad and ZhuoChang knew the number so I didn't bother to save their number and didn't even bother to look who's calling. I take the call, and just like instinct English came out of my mouth.

"Hello. Sean Xiao here. Who's this?"

ZhuoChang's voice came from the other side. "Gege. Did you forget our dinner plan today? When are you getting off work?"

"No I didn't forget. I'm getting out of here right now. Where are you?"

"I was at a friend's place. Just near the hospital. I'll be there in five minutes."

"Yup see ya!" I find the call disconnected. This kid is quite interesting I'd say. But without further delay I get out of the hospital into a bustling and shining Beijing city.

✍✍✍✍✍✍

Here's a new chapter! I couldn't post last few days because I was a bit busy... Also I didn't know what to write.... I was trying to complete my other stories too...

So please be patient guys! I'll update here frequently now...

All the love
C 💕

Oh and please don't forget to vote