:: 12 ::

THE DOCTOR'S DILEMMA

Xiao Zhan P.O.V

Oh god! I'd be late to hospital which I don't want to be. I don't know what the heck happened today that I overslept. I normally don't do that. But then I remembered last night and what happened.

It's been a month that I'm working on the case of A-Fei. A-Fei is the girl that I'm treating along with Yu Bin ge and Lu jie. And it's getting more and more critical. We're working on helping in removing the lump on her brain that suddenly appeared on the second week of her stay. Right after we did the tests that Lu jie prescribed we went through a thorough checkup for her. Because even though her heart pumping ability was decreasing, her heart has no abnormality whatsoever. 'Or it's there, but we just can't see it.' As what Lu jie said. And we all fear if we can't find it sooner we won't be able to save her.

As for me, I don't want such an innocent little girl to die. She doesn't deserve it. She had so much to live. She had so much to see.

I was lost in my thoughts while descending down the stairs, when I accidentally bumped into someone. The man that I bumped into is slender looking with a pretty face. I'm sure he's a man but to describe his face it must be pretty because of the soft features. He gives me an apology and then smiles at me. And his smile is heavenly. He goes up and enters A-Chang's room without even knocking. So I guess they're close. But why am I thinking about that? I have to reach the hospital as soon as possible.

When I reached the dining room I found my dad still there with Madam Xiao. They were in their own world. Guo aunty wasn't visible anywhere. So I guess she gave them space for their alone time. They looked quite close and affectionate towards each other. And for some reason I became mad. That place by his side should have been my mom's place. She was supposed to have all those lovey-dovey times with him. Not that other woman. It would have been me that they should have cherished. But no. Look where we are now. We have a different woman and even a sibling in the picture.

I calmed myself down a bit and took a sandwich from the side of the table and get out of the dining room. Oh well! Now it's a Napa cabbage sandwich! I guess today is the worst day for me.

I throw the sandwich away and take the bus to the hospital. Normally I take the car to drive to hospital but today I totally forgot to take the key while trying to calm myself down seeing my father being so close with another woman. Well, I should focus on my work now.

In the hospital, even though I was trying really hard to concentrate, but it was getting harder with time. I keep rewinding what happened yesterday. How A-Fei collapsed right in front of our eyes. How her parents were scared something might happen to her.

"Zhan!" I hear a voice calling me, which brings me back to reality. I realize I was just awkwardly standing in front of Lu jie.

Wait! What did I come here for? Oh! The daily check-up details!

I put the clipboard on the table in front of her. She looks at me weirdly.

"Zhan! What is bothering you?"

"Nothing, Lu jie."

Lu jie sighs. "A-Zhan, I'm not a person who would want to pry much. But I'm a person who knows how to support my younger brother. If you want to talk about it, find me in the outer balcony of ward 17 after your second round." She smiles and starts skimming through the reports.

As expected, the blood test attracts her attention. Her brows furrowed a bit. She takes a bit longer than usual while checking the report.

"Why is it so low? Her blood is......" She checks other reports too. And then comes back to the blood test report. "A-Zhan, can you get your father here? I'll call A-Yu and A-Fei's nurse here."

"Hao!" And I left. But now I have to do something I don't want to do. Talk to my dad. And after how I saw him this morning, it feels ever harder. I don't know why, but I feel particularly repulsive. I'm not like this. Then why? I was walking to the director's room when my phone vibrated in the pocket of my medical shrub. It's mom. Right when you need her!

"Bonjour maman!"

"Bonjour! Are you okay? Why does your voice sound like this?"

"It's nothing. Just tired." Our English conversation startled some patients and families that were there in the corridor. Not paying them a heed I kept talking and walking. "Maman! Tu me manques!"

"Sean! " I hear her sigh from the other side of the phone. She knows already. She always does. "Sean, bébé, ça va.  Mom is here, ok! And if you don't like it there we can always manage something here, yeah?"

I smile. Rather chuckle a bit. "I sound like a huge mama's boy!"

"Aren't you?"

I laugh. She can always make me laugh whenever I don't feel like it. Truth be told, I'm actually a mama's boy! "Mom, I gotta go. I'll video call after I'm home ok?"

When I enter my dad's room, he was on phone. From the last part I heard I realised it was probably A-Chang. I never had that! Wait, am I jealous of A-Chang now? Bummer!

He looks at me with curious expression. As if to ask, what was I there for. I answer his unsaid question with a bit hesitation.

"Lu jie...... Um Dr. Xuan wants to talk to you about A-Fei's case. If you'd go to her room....." I stop mid-sentence. I didn't know what more to say and feels like he seems to understand my dilemma.

"Zhan, you go. I'll be going right after you."

He gave me a smile. And I awkwardly got back to Lu jie's room. When I reached there Yu Bin ge was already there and the nurse. And after a few minutes my dad came too.

The meeting was a tense one. Lu jie wanted to go through with a surgery to remove the new mass that's forming at the side of her artery wall. But dad and Yu Bin ge weren't sure if her brain can support the surgery. We are in a tough situation with A-Fei. All of us want her to survive this. But no one knows how.

It's really a dilemma as to why some really unexpected things happen to some people we don't want them to happen. But as far as I get it the surgery is going to happen, and we'd have to gamble with a little girl's life.

✍✍✍✍✍✍

Hello again, I'm back... And I'll be updating regularly from today onwards... I've been a bit busy these past few days.... And I've also started rewriting my novel that I've been working on for a while now.... Let's hope things go as planned...

Also here's a new chapter that doesn't make sense to me neither! Hope you enjoy anyway!

All the love
C 💕

Also please click on the heart right down below!