:: 10 ::

LOTUS ROOT AND PORK RIB SOUP

Xiao Zhan P.O.V

I'm just checking on one of my patients when suddenly my phone rang. Well I can't take the call right now, but I was afraid if it's some patient. When I look at my phone I see it's A-Chang. Well I guess it can wait. This patient of mine is a twelve years old girl. She was admitted to the hospital with a nosebleed for running into a wall. Yu Bin ge found it odd so he prescribed some tests and found out that this little girl was showing the signs of Ataxia. For exactly what reason we can't find until recently. The pumping ability of her heart started decreasing significantly.

Dr. Yu was standing trying to talk to the parent of the little girl comforting them.

In this few days I learned a lot from Dr. Yu who repeatedly insisted on calling him Yu Bin ge. Though I don't call him that in front of him, I tend to call him that in my mind. I found out he is really passionate about his job and he tends to care for his patients like his family. Maybe because he doesn't have family of his own. His father died when he was only three. His mother raised him and his elder sister with so much hard-work and care. But she too died of overworking, when Yu Bin ge was in medical college in Beijing his elder sister was diagnosed with brain cancer. He was just in his second year of college, who didn't know what to do. He did everything for his sister's treatment but in the end nothing worked. He even wanted to drop out from medical college. But his sister insisted he completes his degree and become a great doctor. She too died leaving You Bin ge all alone.

And he became engrossed in work and the patients became his family. Just like right now, he is trying to comfort the little girl's family like his own. I check all the vitals and wait for her new doctor, who's a heart surgeon. From now on, we have to work together with a cardiac surgeon with this little girl's case.

Yu Bin ge comes to me to talk about how to reduce the speed of the girl's heart failure after comforting the parents a little. It's only been a week and I already feel so attached to Yu Bin ge that whatever he teaches I take it in hungrily. And that's what I'm doing right now. But our thought process was disturbed when a familiar face entered the room in a doctor's shrub, with a pleasant smile on her face. The person I met on my first day crying in the locker room has entered the room in a totally opposite appearance, a totally different mood. The smile on her face is so pleasant that it makes others feel good too. But what is she doing here? Don't tell me she's the cardiac surgeon we're going to work together with. And confirming my suspicion Yu Bin ge greets her.

"Oh, you're here, Dr. Xuan. We were just talking about the case."

And the smile on her face became wider. She gives us a small bow as greeting and says hello.

"Hello, A-Yu. Director assigned me this case." And then turns to me and greets me too. "Hello. I'm Xuan Lu, cardiac surgeon. Nice to meet you." She acts as if she doesn't remember me. Ok I'll go with it too.

"Hello. I'm Sean Xiao."

She gives me a look and then takes the case history from me while saying something that got me surprised. "Oh, you're the director's son. The famous doctor handsome!" She chuckled.

While checking out the case history she addresses Yu Bin ge planning the next procedure.

"Looks like her heart pumping ability is 50% right now. We would run some tests to check if there's any clots in her major veins or arteries, then we'll check if the valves are working properly, if those are clear we'll proceed with the rest. Until then I want her to be in a complete fit mental condition. And I guess we use a heart monitor to be cautious. Am I clear?"

Wow! She's so cool when she's all serious. But she's right. The patient needs to be in a perfect mental condition even for the tests. And looks like Yu Bin ge also obeys her.

"Yes, Lu jie. We'll see to that. We'll make sure she goes back home healthy."

"Yeah. It better be. Also, Dr. Xiao, just because you're the director's son, don't think I'll go easy on you. So, you better be prepared. I'll expect a thorough report of her vitals and mental condition two days from now. That's when the first test will be."

She leaves after giving all the instructions but stops right in front of the door. Turning around, she invites us to have lunch together. "Oh, why don't we have lunch together? A-Yu it's been a while. And Dr. Xiao, you too can join us. The nurse can call us when needed."

And so we have lunch together. Dr. Xuan Lu brought some Lotus root and pork rib soup and she has enough for four people. Looks like she always brings food enough to invite others for lunch together. While sitting in the cafeteria she prepares three bowls for the three of us. And keeps a serving enough for one person in her lunchbox. When Yu Bin ge goes to get us coffee for me and himself and milk tea for Dr. Xuan Lu, she speaks up.

"Dr. Xiao, I'm not a psychiatrist but I'm able to read people a bit."

"Huh?" I was looking at the soup waiting for Yu Bin ge to eat together.

"I remember you. And the thing is, sometimes we don't want to talk about some things. And that's ok, because in certain moments we feel weak. That moment in the locker room was one of those. Thank you that you were there."

When I said nothing she continued again. "Do you feel upset? Don't be. Also you can call me jie."

"Then you have to call me Zhan." I couldn't help replying.

"Ok. A-Zhan. Now eat." She said to eat when Yu Bin ge came with our drinks.

One spoon of the soup left me in ecstasy. Like the food can send me to heaven. Lu jie probably saw my facial expression and she looks proud of it. I never thought food can give me all these feelings. I don't really have homemade food when in the hospital. But today is different. I hope everyday could be like this.

"I can make it for you everyday if you want it A-Zhan." Jie suddenly said. I didn't realize I said that out loud. So embarrassing!

"No, it's ok."

"It's not. I'll make it for you. I do it everyday, anyway."

I just smile at her. Having a big sister like her is what I never thought I wanted until now. I'll treasure this forever.

✍✍✍✍✍✍

Heyheyheyhey
Here's new chapter... I'm a bit late cuz of exams, and I didn't have the chapter drafted... So I just wrote it a few hours back .. I hope you like it...

Also the chapter is named after our A-Xian's favourite dish!

All the love
C 💕

Oh and please don't forget to vote