♛ THE FIRST TASK PART 2 ♛

Aurora sat on the edge of the bed next to Dante, trying desperately to block out the excited gasps and astonished screams of the crowd watching the First Task. Aurora did not know what was going on in that arena, but she did know that Cedric was out there, facing off against a dragon with nothing but his wits and his wand. She was terrified. But the girl could not figure out why. It was impossible for her to care so deeply for a boy she hardly knew. Yet all Aurora could think about was Cedric. His honey coloured hair which always seemed to reflect the sunlight, and his big blue eyes which were full of life. Aurora never developed feelings this quickly- or at all for that matter. The girl had never even been kissed before. Cedric Diggory was changing everything. The truth was, Aurora Black was afraid to fall in love.

Of course, she had no idea she was falling for the Hufflepuff boy, and she definitely didn't know that her feelings were being reciprocated. The girl did not understand her emotions when she was around him. All she knew was that he was different.

Aurora was awoken from her trance by Dumbledore's amplified voice. "Cedric Diggory, the first champion has faced his dragon, and will proceed to the next round. " the girl let out a sigh of relief, but it quickly morphed into panic. She was up next.

"Our next contestant, the first Beauxbatons champion, will face off against the Antipodean Opaleye." there was a loud clanging followed by a deafening roar. The dragon was in the arena. Aurora was hugged by all the champions before she went to stand by the exit, ready to face whatever came her way.

"Please welcome... Aurora Black!"

The noise was deafening. The audience was chanting her name as she stepped out into the arena. It was essentially a rocky valley, built to the taste of the dragon she supposed. As Aurora walked further out, a glint of gold flashed in the corner of her eye. She whirled around on the spot. Right in her eyeline, less than twenty metres away sat the golden egg. Aurora scanned the area. She could not see the Opaleye anywhere. Deciding to take her chances, she began to walk towards her goal.

The girl had barely made it five metres when she heard a deafening roar. The Opaleye emerged from its hiding place- stepping right in front of the egg and effectively blocking her path. Aurora's breath hitched in her throat. The dragon really was the most beautiful thing she had ever seen.

Its scales seemed to shine like glittering diamonds in the bright winter sunlight. As the dragon moved, it reflected beams of rainbow light onto the surrounding dull grey rocks. Both the audience and the champion were utterly entranced.

But Aurora wasn't looking at its scales, magnificent though they were. What had piqued her interest were the dragon's pupil less eyes. They held an emotion Aurora could not quite fathom. It was something deep and meaningful. Sorrow perhaps? No, that wasn't it. It wasn't sad. It wasn't exactly happy either. It looked almost like... love. A deep-rooted, unbreakable love. Aurora had seen it before. In her memories. Both her parents had that same look in their eyes as they gazed down upon their new-born babies. The Opaleye had that same love for its own children.

Aurora knew what she had to do. Her original plan was to use her exceptionally powerful magic to subdue the dragon, but that idea was quickly discarded.

The girl acted on instinct. Drawing her blackthorn wand, Aurora pointed it at the dragon- who had still not moved- and closed her eyes. The audience watched in curiosity as the girl began to chant in an ancient language. Aurora did not know what the words meant but they felt right, so she spoke them, getting gradually louder. A brilliant white glow surrounded the girl as she chanted. From his seat at the judge's table, Dumbledore's  eyes widened in amazement. He had not seen this type of magic used in a long, long time.

Suddenly, the Antipodean Opaleye's eyes flooded with a different emotion. The audience watched in amazement as the dragon bowed its head, almost as an act of understanding, and moved away from the eggs, leaving the path clear for Aurora. The girl put her wand away and walked calmly towards the golden egg. At first no one cheered as she picked it up. Everything was deathly silent. Suddenly, the whole arena erupted into rigorous applause. Everyone was on their feet cheering, Hogwarts, Durmstrang and Beauxbatons students alike. No one could believe what they had just witnessed.