So many Surprises

Merry Christmas. And sorry for not updating twice. I became sick and I was also really busy. Hopefully I won't be too busy this week.

"Welcome to the Island."

"They're not welcome here." Hiccup glared at the night fury and cleared his voice.

"We are pleased you could use your valuable time coming here."

"Not that we knew they were coming here but okay."

"If you would all please just wait a bit whilst Eret here," he gestured towards the strongly built guy, "brings the barrels over."

"Uhh," Gobber, the only one who had the courage to speak, started, "Barrels? Whah are they for?"

Hiccup and Astrid waited for Eret and Skullcrusher to come back with 4 barrels. Eret placed them in a line on front of the Berkians, "Alright. Weapons, sharp objects, anything that can hurt anyone will go in these now. Hurry up. We can't afford to waste time. We already have a lot of other things to deal with."

"I know right," Astrid remarked, "We still have to find the flowers for the crowns and we have to decide on the food. And the others will start coming in the next few days. And let's not forget that I still have to train the little ones. And he has a whole load more work than I do. And they pile up every day. Seriously. It's a miracle he can cope sometimes."

"Yeah. I feel pretty bad for him sometimes."

"Guys. Still here."

"Don't worry Hiccup. We wouldn't want anyone else to be in your position. You're the perfect person for it."

"Thanks, I think."

Stoick coughed and the trio looked at him, "Uhhh. As Chief of Berk, I would like to apologise for the intrusion we have caused. But as a father, Hiccup, I wanted to see you as soon as I can so I am not sorry for that."

"Why? Why would you want to see me? I'm nothing to you," Stoick stepped closer to them and Hiccup's grip on Astrid tightened.

"You are everything to me. You are my son. My heir. And I want you back in your rightful place," he placed his arm on his son's shoulder but Hiccup shrugged it off, almost feeling guilty at the look of pain in his father's eyes.

"Look dad," Stoick's eyes lit up, "I'm sorry, but I cannot be heir. I already have enough responsibility here. And I'm more than happy with that."

"What responsibility can you possibly have in this Island?"

Hiccup and Astrid looked at each other, "How about we go inside?"

A few moments later

The doors to the great hall opened and those inside turned to look at the new arrivals. Currently, people were in the hall finishing off their breakfast and helping to put up decorations for the big day. However, as soon as the chief entered, all activity seized to a stop.

"If everyone could please leave in the next few minutes, it would be appreciated. And that includes all of the dragons except Toothless and Stormfly. I'm afraid we have some last minute guests who we need to attend to, but while that is getting sorted, it is best if Astrid and I are to explain to them how our Island works. If anyone is willing to volunteer to help Eret make preparations for our guests, please do so," with a nod from Hiccup, they walked forward to the table placed on a raised platform and took their rightful place, watching for a few moments as their people and dragons left them with only the Berkians to keep them company.

"If you would all sit down please. It's a bit uncomfortable watching you people struggle to stand,"he waited for all of the vikings to find a place, ignoring the twins who were fighting over a seat, and placed his hand on the table, "First, you should know that the Island is a place where people and dragons live in peace and harmony, living and fighting together in hope of a better and brighter future for the world we live in."