(Not) Just The Mechanic! (Drake & Reader & Fenton)

2017 Ducktales
Fenton & Reader & Drake
Gender Neutral!Reader

(Reader is legal drinking age minimum)

I was stunned. Drake was standing in his living room wearing the Darkwing costume that had been a movie prop only weeks before. Only now he was telling me that he had been using it to bring the character to life. If I ever meat this Launchpad person I will murder him on the spot.

"Will you say something, _____. Please?" Drake begged me. I couldn't think, little less talk. I could tell he was scared of my reaction.

"Excuse me. I'll be planning a funeral!" I walked out slamming the door. I walked down to my apartment, which was only a few down from his.

I thought back to how I met Drake when I moved in a month or so earlier. He was so sweet, not a fighter. I had even been embarrassed when one of the boxes busted and reviled some DW comics because he didn't seem like the type to like that kind of stuff but  he geeked out over it.

I glanced at the books and opened one of them looking over the pages. Drake had a motorcycle but it would need some modifications to work like the Ratcather yet not be suspicious during the day. He also needed a gas gun.

"I could, no!" I knew he told me because I could help him with this gear. I wasn't just a mechanic I was his friend! I wouldn't encourage this behavior. However, I knew he was stubborn. Like when he auditioned for the DW role I told him would never get it and he said he was born to play the role. There was no telling how long I sat there trying to think up what to do about him, when my phone rang.

"Look I'm not in the mood for an apology and don't dare ask me for anything." My eye twitched.

"Good morning to you too." Fenton laughed nervously.

"Fenton! I am so sorry!" He laughed again.

"You're good. Who owes you an apology?" I could tell he regretted asking.

"Oh, no one important. What's up?" I tried to brush it off.

"I was wondering if we were still meeting for breakfast, of course if you're not in the mood."

"Oh no! Fenton I completely forgot. I still want to but I'll be a minute late, if that's okay."

"That's fine." I rushed a goodbye and ran to the bathroom to get ready.

I met Fenton at a small cafe not far from our homes. I reached for the door and remember that Drake was working this morning.

"Uh, hey mind getting mine. I'll get you back." Fenton blinked but nodded.

"Your regular?" I nodded and he slipped in and I tried not to look inside. I sat at a small table outside. Fenton wasn't in there long. He handed me my drink and small bag.

"Whip cream and a pastry? Why the special treat?"

"Hey don't ask me. The cashier was admitted on our order being 'on the house'." He used air quotes and I rolled my eyes.

"Weird." Was all I said. Fenton eyed him then me.

"Are you two like..."

He didn't finish and I laughed. I opened the pastry cream cheese and some kind of berry. I took a bite.

"He's my neighbor. He helped me move and he's a huge DW nerd like me." Fenton rolled his eyes.

"Great another one." He mumbled.

"Not like I can talk about him with you." I laughed then froze. "Anyways we had a disagreement last night and he's trying to butter me up."

"Is it working?"

I offered a bite to Fenton. He shrugged and took a bite. "Maybe but I prefer donuts."

Fenton laughed and we stood and headed to work.

I tinkered on some side projects before I found myself developing a gas gun unintentionally. Half way through the build I shoved it to the side and went on my lunch break. Fenton called me over and asked for my help on the Gizmoduck armor after lunch, which I totally posed with. I posted the photo to my social media and my phone buzzed like crazy. Drake was trying to apologize and get my attention. He hated Gizmo. I knew the thought of me working with the metal man but not Darkwing killed him.

I was on the verge having Gyro screaming at him when the clock hit five. I grabbed Fenton.

"Want to be my DD?"

He blinked. "Where we going?"

"House of Mouse." Fenton blushed. Apparently he had never been to a bar before.

Fenton drove us to the restaurant and I pulled him to the back. I ordered a double shot and the first fruity drink I saw. Fenton gawked.

"You should probably eat something."

"Order whatever you want." I mumbled into my drink.

"______, are you okay."

"He's jealous but I didn't ask for this." Fenton was more confused than before. "Darkwing. He's a jealous person."

"You know Darkwing?" I nodded. "What is he jealous of?"

"He's afraid that I like Gizmoduck more than him." I laughed. "It's not like I know the real Gizmoduck. I just work on his armor."

I did know the real Gizmo. It was Fenton. Not that he would tell me just use me to work on his gear. I didn't blame Fenton for not telling me, much.

"Do you know who the real Darkwing is?"

"Uh," I looked away and stirred my drink slowly. "No but I work on his equipment too."

"Since when!" Fenton jumped out of his chair.

"Last night." I scoffed. "Or at least he asked. It's funny how the only two superheroes in Duckburg think I'm just some sort of toy for them to fight over. I'm more than a mechanic."

"I know you're more than that ______." Fenton breathed.

"Thanks Fenton. At least I got you." I patted him on the back.

Fenton got quiet. He ordered some nachos which were pretty good. I ordered several more drinks.

"Are you going to be able to go home?" Fenton sounded worried. I giggled in response.

Fenton helped to the car and then to my room.

I woke up super early with a hangover to a knock. There was no one but a sticky note hung from the door.

You've always been more than a mechanic!
~D

I popped some Advil. I couldn't stop myself. I took a shower and took my designs for Drakes bike to the alley behind the apartment. That's where Drake parked his motorcycle. I sighed and looked it over. I tightened the breaks and fiddled with the cylinders and muffler.

"Hey! What do you think you're- ______? What are you doing up so early?" Drake walked up to me.

"I can't stop you but I can make sure you don't get hurt." He smiled at me.

"Thank you." He nodded and I sighed. "And I owe you an apology."

"No you don't. I took it personally and shouldn't have."

"Well you need to tell your Gizmo buddy that because he gave me a pretty good talking to last night."

"Shit! I'm sorry. He can be overprotective."

"Yeah I know." Drake rubbed his arm.

"Consider this your consolation prize. You should test it out." I stepped away and put my tools into my bag. He stepped up and hoped on. He started it without a sound.

"Wow. You surprise me every time." He smiled.

"Yeah yeah. I got some more projects in the lab. Just quit blowing up my phone during work."

"Deal."

Word Count: 1265