Chapter XII

LUKE'S POV:

I couldn't help the anger that was beating inside of me, it was like a drum beat that just wouldn't stop. I started passing around the garage. I couldn't stop my mind from reeling. Of course Julie liked Nick, how could I have missed it, that day in the hallway when he came over she got all shy and awkward. Nick obviously likes her too, the way he looked at her when he talked about their dance practice was so obvious.

I grabbed the nearest object, being a pillow and threw it across the room. When I saw that nothing had felt any better I kept pulling on my hair screaming. I can't remember being this angry except maybe a few times before I ran away from home when I would get into arguments with my mum.

I kept pacing, getting sick of it. I moved over to the wall, I intended to slide down and sit on the floor. When I got over there though I just lent my head against the wall trying to take deep breaths and calm down. It wasn't working and I was getting more and more frustrated. Before I knew what I was doing my hand went straight through the wall and was now throbbing with pain. I completely forgot that I still couldn't use any of my ghost abilities. It was definitely a feeling I hadn't felt since the 90's. My hand throbbed as I pulled it back out of the wall, the strange thing is there was no blood. It felt like my hand had completely opened up but no blood was coming out. 'Duh Luke you're still dead' my inner voice yelled at me for my stupidity. I tried to push against the top of my knuckles but that shot severe pain throughout my hand and up my arm.

"Luke you okay?" Alex asked walking up behind me. I hadn't even noticed them come in.

"Uh no not really. How long have you guys been here?" I was scared for the answer.

"We just got back." Reggie answered looking over at the wall behind me that now had a giant gaping hole in the middle of it.

Reggie gently nudged Alex in his ribs motioning to the wall behind me. I looked down quickly, seriously not wanting to explain to the guys what was going on. "Just don't ask." I spoke before they even had a chance to question me.

"Luke, it's okay. No one's going to care about the wall but what about your hand? Are you even going to be able to play at band rehearsal?" Alex asked with a worried look plastered across his face.

"I don't know, it hurts so bad guys." I answered walking over to the couch. Alex following shortly after, Reggie had disappeared into the back room.

"Luke I feel like I need to ask, did this have something to do with Julie?" Alex asked looking over at my sad expression.

"No...?" I replied.

"Dude what happened, you were so pumped after we spoke to you and how you were last night and this morning with her. What changed?"

"I uhh did something kinda stupid and I guess I found out that she doesn't like me like that."

"Did she say that?"

"No, but she likes someone else so guess I'm out of the picture." I frowned looking down.

Reggie finally came out of the back room, he held a small ice pack in his hands as he moved over towards us. He gently placed it across my knuckles.

"Uh Reggie, when did we get a freezer out here?" Alex asked, super confused by Reggies actions.

"I found this old one out there and took some stuff to put in it from the house. You never know when Julie might want a drink, or an ice cube." Reggie smiled sweetly.

"Thanks Reg," I added looking down at the ice pack on my slightly bruised knuckles.

I sat there in silence for a while with the boys. Sometimes they could be complete goofballs but sometimes they knew just what I needed. They truly are my family. Eventually we lost track of time when we could hear Julie yelling goodbye to Flynn, knowing she was going to come down here soon I threw the ice pack at Reggie to put back in the other room. Alex rushed to the side of the room with a hole in the wall and moved one of the tall plants trying to cover the gap.

"I think she's going to notice that." I whisper shouted at Alex.

"Quick act natural." Reggie yelled as he posed in one of the most unnatural ways I have ever seen.

I didn't bother with Reggie's suggestion, instead I just sat back down on the couch picking up my black notebook and pen starting to doodle on some of my song pages. If I was being honest for the first time since we came back from that dark room I didn't feel like seeing Julie. I honestly just want to avoid her for as long as I can, probably till I get over whatever I'm feeling.

"What are you guys up to?" Julie asked the second she walked through the doors, immediately spotting Alex leaning next to an oddly placed lamp.

Alex sighed, moving the plant back to its original spot with all the others. Julie gasped extremely loudly walking over to the hole inspecting it very closely. "What the hell guys? What happened?"

Before I had a chance to respond Reggie piped up, "it was me, I was throwing around a ball and might have thrown it a bit too much to the left of Alex."

I mouthed a quick thank you over to Reggie knowing that him taking the blame was his best way of protecting me against feeling anymore pain today.

"Let's just rehearse." I muttered still feeling like I wanted to leave and not come back for a while, but I know how much this band means and I'm not prepared to give it up. I guess I'll just have to suck up my feelings and deal with it, but I don't know how I can be around Julie. I guess it just can't be the same as it used to be. Back when I thought I stood a chance. 

I HAVE LOVED READING ALL YOUR GUYS COMMENTS ABOUT THIS STORY SO FAR THEY ARE SO SWEET, CUTE AND FUNNY ALL AT THE SAME TIME. I'VE DECIDED TO LEAVE YOU ALL WITH A QUESTION AT THE END OF EVERY CHAPTER! GET TO KNOW MY READERS A BIT MORE :)

WHERE ARE YOU FROM? LET ME KNOW IN THE COMMENTS! I'M FROM AUSTRALIA.

- COURTNEY