~Chapter 19~ Impaz's Sacrifice

"I can help with that," Lana volunteered, approaching Saria. "There is reawakening spell I know..."

"Excellent. Lana, stand on the platform and perform the spell," Saria said gravely.

As the young sorceress approached the platform with the six pillars surrounding it, Impaz hobbled over to Saria with Ralis' support. "Please be careful, Saria," she spoke.

The Sage of Forest nodded.

The sorceress yelled out magic words that lit up the chamber, and the six pillars began to spin around in circles at an amazing speed. With Lana's last breath of the spell, the pillars stopped abruptly in place, and one of them lit up. It started descending toward the ground, and then vanished completely underground. A white, ghostly figure materialized into a woman in a tight bodysuit. She looked very tough.

"Saria! What the hell is happening?!" she cried, looking around.

"Impa, please. Listen. We've roused you because we need to repair the Mirror of Twilight. I need it to... complete something. It's urgent," Saria explained meekly. Then she sighed sadly. "Ilia, play the Nocturne of Shadow."

Unexpected that the argument turned to me, but I took out my Ocarina and played the song as told. Impa looked slightly more understanding.

"So, you foresaw our fate as Sages. And you need the Twilight Princess to complete a true seal hex..." The Sage's face hardened.

Saria nodded and Impaz and Ralis the Zora hobbled over. "Impa, you and your long-forgotten descendant must work together to bring back the lost mirror," Saria declared.

Impa looked at the elder Sheikah. "I've watched over you, Impaz... Your story fills my heart with vengeance. The way the monsters controlled you is... unheard of. It dishonors our proud tribe wrongly, for the monsters treated you improperly. Still, you are of my bloodline... But I can't. You are too weak. Completing this task will surely use up the last of your energy."

"Please let me..." whispered Impaz. "I am on my last legs. But I wish to aid Saria! I truly do... Let me help. Please, Impa, I beg you..."

Reluctantly, Impa led Impaz over to the stage before the large chained rock in the air. They both linked hands and closed their eyes. Their chests began to glow, and two tiny silver balls of light appeared between them.

The tiny little silver orbs burst into a million silver sparkles, smaller than a pebble. But those little particles flew over to the empty mirror stand and started to shape and form a circle in the mirror stand. The brilliant shine of the sparks died down, and then only a translucent, circular mirror appeared in the mirror stand. It was engraved with ancient runes and symbols, so I knew this was the legendary Mirror of Twilight. It cast many beams of white light, which reflected on to the enormous shard of rock hanging across from it. The light was cast past the two Sheikah women. The whole image imagined me kind of like a projector, casting a picture on to a surface. The patterns reflected on the rock formed a type of white vortex, with many designs encircling it.

In the intensity of the moment, Impaz collapsed.

Everyone rushed over to the elder. Impa knelt beside her, cradling her wrinkled head. I could tell that it was taking so much effort for Impaz to cling to life, so much energy to bid us her last farewell.

"Impaz... Just let go already. You won't be hurting us. Life is too difficult for you..." The Sage's brute face showed compassion, for the first time I'd seem. Then again, I hadn't even known her for ten minutes yet.

"Impa..." the old woman murmured. Her breaths were short, her words barely audible. "Won't you...watch over my cats?"

Impa was fighting back tears. We all were. "Of course, Impaz," she choked. "I promise."

Impaz smiled with gratitude. Her last breath came in the form of a short laugh, and then, her heart stopped.

She was dead.