~Chapter 20~ Princess Midna

A single tear streamed down Impa's sharp cheek, and landed with a tiny splat on her descendant's chest. The last Sheikah of our era, gone... For the sake of Hyrule.

"Impa---" I started.

She cut me off sharply and irritably. "Just go, girl."

I looked at Saria expectantly.

"Ilia, pass through the Mirror. You'll be in the shadowy Twilight Realm. Once there, I suggest you locate the Palace of Twilight and find Princess Midna there. I wish you the best of luck," Saria said. "We don't have much time, so hurry."

I nodded, still in shock about the kindly woman's death, and stepped in front of the Mirror of Twilight. As I approached the edge of the platform, the clear outline of almost invisible steps led straight into the vortex reflected from the Mirror.

"Hey, Ilia!" called a voice. It was Prince Ralis. "Good luck."

I wasn't able to form the right words, so I just smiled and nodded at him.

Staring into the depths of the reflection, I turned my head. The last thing I saw before disentegrating within the portal was the outline of golden armor running toward me.

It was like blinking. When my surroundings became clear, it was a dusky place that oozed of tranquility and escape, but in a sense, it was also mournful.

Suddenly, none other than the Hero of Twilight materialized beside me.

"Link," I said emotionlessly.

"Ilia." He stared at me hardly. "I came also to find the princess."

I shrugged. Right now I was surprised to find that I didn't even mind the prince's presence. I had a purpose. I had a mission, something to focus on.

We appeared to be standing on a floating island in the middle of a twilit sky, with swirling black clouds. In the distance was a massive compound building, likely what Saria referred to as the "Palace of Twilight".

There were indiscribably odd-looking creatures standing around in silence with odd tattoos. In desperation, I turned to Link.

"Where is the princess?"

But he didn't answer. He looked past me, and as I turned around, I saw her.

Midna, the Twilight Princess.

She had orange hair in a bizarre style. On her head was a black hood and strange headpiece that resembled a crown. Her majestic dark dress revealed one pale leg. Midna also wore a cloak, with strange, exotic patterns on the inside. Her skin seemed to bear tattoos that glowed green. She was... breathtaking.

Prince Link ran straight into the dumbfounded Twili's arms, and the embrace lasted several seconds. I stood in awe with nothing to say or even express.

"Link... Why...? Why are you here? Why is the girl here?" Midna asked, confused.

Now would really be nice if I had a song to do the explaining... I thought. But I stepped in and relayed what Saria told us.

"Princess," I began respectfully, "you know from your encounters with Zelda, I presume, that the Triforce existed within Ganondorf, Link, and Zelda. Well, Ganondorf is dead... The Triforce piece of Power left him, and found a different one worthy of wielding it. Midna, the Triforce of Power now rests within you."

Midna looked down at her left hand and nearly had a heart attack to find the mark of three triangles blazing on her hand. "So what do you want with me?"

"Hyrule's in danger," answered Link.

"Surprise, surprise."

"The Sages fear they may threaten the balance, and we need you to lend your newly found power to seal them away," he added.

The Twilight Princess hesitated, looking back at the palace in the distance.

"I'll do it."