~Chapter 22~ Battle of the Sages

Saria staggered back from the muscular Goron. Everyone was keeping their difference. After all, his hammer was pretty darn big.

"Darunia, calm down..." Impa eased, protecting Saria. But then the Sage keeled over in agony. I could tell she was trying to cling to her sanity.

So taming them wasn't an option. More Sages were coming to their senses on the pillars, except for the Sage of Water, because she was dead. I was the only powerless one here. The only normal one. What use did I have?

"They want the Triforce!" I warned Link. "Along with the Sage's power. You have to be careful."

Link's eyes met mine. He drew a silver sword. "I will, Ilia."

Soon the Sages were all awake, and all were power-thirsty. I struggled to keep my balance; my legs were giving way.

Saria was the only mindful one, but even her sanity was slipping.

"Stop it!" she cried powerlessly and frightfully. "Stop it..."

Suddenly, Link tossed me a silver sword, similar to his own, and I caught it, barely. I stared at him.

"Fight back!" he yelled. Then, Saria pushed him on the stone-hard ground. She was under her own envy's influence now.

"Link!" I gasped.

"Be careful, Ilia," Zelda said behind me. She was carrying a giant golden bow.

The princess drew back on the bowstring, and a large gold arrow appeared. The projectile pierced Saria's now-pale skin. To my dismay, the Sages were turning into envious monsters.

The green-clad girl turned viciously to Zelda, and started lumbering toward us.

With incredible speed, Saria ran and clutched Zelda by the throat, hoisting her in the air. The princess kicked and choked in the air, desperately. Finally, a thin rapier materialized from light in her hand, and she slashed the Kokiri's arm.

"They're immortal, Zelda!" I reminded her.

"I know that. I just need time," she responded. "If we can somehow knock them out and return them to the pillars before sunset, then they will return to permanent slumber."

I watched helplessly as the Sages battled their descendants. Agitha struggled to fight her older ascendant, Rauru.

Telma managed to separate from her Gerudo ancestor -- Nabooru -- and shook my shoulders.

"Ilia! Listen to me! I know you think you don't have any magic or any skills, but you're wrong!" she cried. Telma looked around. "Zelda! Get the ocarina from Saria!"

Before I could question it, Zelda slashed Saria's leather belt with her blade and snatched the Ocarina of Time just before it hit the ground. And suddenly, she played the Song of Time, tossing the instrument to me just as I was about to fall through an endless abyss of empty space and time.