•Why You're Really Here•

🏹Alec🏹

I stand in my room staring out the window as raindrops streak down the glass. Thunder booms loudly in the distance as lightning streaks across the sky. It's been a few days since Ally appeared in Seabrook and I don't think she has any intention of leaving soon. I've tried to not let her remarks get to me, but it's hard.

I'm getting increasingly worried about what she might do. I hear my door open and turn to see Ally standing in my doorway. I guess she was waiting for everyone to leave. "What do you want?"

"Just to talk."

"We have nothing to talk about. I said everything I needed to the other day. And you've said plenty since then."

"Alec, please forget about them and come home. Mom's worried." I laugh without humor and turn back toward the window. "She can't accept me as a hunter and she can't accept me as myself. She's not worried about me. She's worried about the boy she thought I was."

"That's not true! She loves you!"

"Oh, and that's why she sent you after me? The one who the second she got here shot me with one of our arrows!" I turn away from the window, pushing the neckline of my tee down over my shoulder to reveal some of the gauze. "I'm sorry. I was angry."

"Angry! Why? Because I'm finally thinking for myself rather than following every order that woman gives me?"

"She's our mom! And the leader of our family! We're supposed to follow her orders!"

"Not this time. Like I said before I. Am. Done!"

"Is this because of that werepanther?"

"Leave him out of this! This has nothing to do with him!"

"It has everything to do with him! Do you really think you're in love? That it could have any hope of lasting?!"

"Ally, just drop it!"

"You weren't sent here to fall in love. You were sent here to spy on them and report back to mom! Nothing else!" I make a noise of frustration and shake my head. Suddenly I hear something shatter in the hallway and feel my heart drop. I brush past Ally and look out in the hall.

I see a wobbling stand and a shattered vase on the floor. Fast footsteps on the stairs drew my attention and I quickly follow after them, taking the steps two at a time. I reach the last stair and look up to see the back of Caleb racing for the door. "Caleb!" He freezes and slowly turns around to face me, his eyes glowing from the emotion his face did not express.

His eyes look sad but his face is angry. "I can't believe I was stupid enough to trust you."

"Whatever you think you heard-"

"I know exactly what I heard. And now I know why you wouldn't tell me it was her. You were just protecting yourself." His eyes narrow and he shakes his head angrily. "You're a liar. A fake. I never want to see you again!" He jerks the door open and slams it closed behind him.

The thunder claps loudly above and I notice the lights flicker. I sit down on the second to last step and hang my head in my hands. My eyes sting with unshed tears and my heart aches more than I ever thought was possible. Part of me wanted to tell him the truth ever since I realize just how much I did like him. But I was afraid of exactly this scenario.

I was sent to gather Intel on the werecats after we learned they were free but after meeting Crystal, Wyatt, and Caleb they were so nice. They didn't care that I was a hunter or that I was gay. They made me feel better about myself. So I told my mom that I was done being her spy and told her to stop calling. And then she sent Ally after me. I didn't mean for this to happen.