•Gone Without A Trace•

🐾Wyatt🐾

I'm awoken from my sleep by a yowl echoing through the den and arousing half of my packmates. I lift my head up and realize that I'm smelling smoke. I jump to my feet and race out of my den along with some of my pack. "What's going on?"

"Oh, my God!" I hear Wren exclaim and she rushes through the crowd toward the collapsed form at the entrance to the wolf den. I rush forward with my twin sister as Wren rolls the person over to reveal their face. Murmurs and fearful whispers ripple through my packmates as they stare down at him.

"C-Connor?"

"What's he doing here?" I sniff the air and the smoke smell is still lingering. I walk out of the den and spin around, taking note of the blazing orange light illuminating the sky a few miles away. "A fire?!"

"Well, it's definitely not a sunset," I say to my twin as the sun had gone down hours ago. "That light is so bright I bet they can see it from in town." Just as the words leave Willa's mouth sirens split the overall silent night air. Willa pulls me back as a red truck comes barreling past and farther into the forest.

"Let's hope they can contain it," I whisper as I watch the truck disappear from sight. "Yeah and that the Clan are okay." I nod in agreement and we head back inside. I look and see one of the older wolves, a healer, is looking Connor over.

"Is he okay?" Wynn looks up and doesn't answer before going back to examining the young panther while Wren watches apprehensively. He pulls his eyes open, staring into his irises. Eventually after a lot of poking and prodding he stares up at Willa and I.

"He's inhaled a bit of smoke and maybe some silver. All he needs is some sleep and his enhanced healing will do the rest."

"Thank you." He nods and stands up heading farther into the den. I turn to my half asleep and frightened pack. "Alright, all of you need to try and go back to bed. There's nothing we can do for him."

They share concerned looks with each other before returning to their dens. I place my hand on Wren's shoulder and she lifts her head to look at me. "You too, Wren. I'll look after him. I promise." Willa nods when the young wolf looks at her and she nods back.

"Alright." She stands up after one last look at Connor before following after her packmates. I slip my arms under Connor and lift him up, carrying him into my den and laying him down on the bed.

"In the morning once the fire is out we'll go check on the Clan and make sure they're okay," I tell Willa and she nods. "Alright, Alpha." I roll my eyes and settle down on the floor, watching Connor's exhausted and unconscious form.

Not moments later I hear a voice calling into the den. "Wyatt!"

"Shush, you'll wake up the whole pack with your yelling!" I almost can't help, but smile as Crystal chastises the archer. I push myself up and go to the front of the den seeing Alec, Crystal, and Ally. "You guys see the fire too?" Crystal nods, but the fear I see in Alec's eyes is too great to be about a little forest fire.

"Alec, what is it?"

"Um, I just got a disturbing call from my mom."

"Okay." He runs his hand through his obsidian hair. "It appears that the most dangerous family of hunters has decided to come to Seabrook."

"What?!" I immediately lower my voice so my pack doesn't hear and panic. "How do you know this?"

"My mom called and she sounded terrified. She kept repeating that she was sorry and she didn't have a choice, but to tell them. I asked her who she was talking about but she hung up."