•Who's Hunting Whom•

🔮Crystal🔮

I watch the flurries swirling around outside as they dance on the wind before settling on the ground. "Get up," a voice says, startling me from my thoughts and I turn to see Wyatt on my left giving Wally a pointed look as he holds his tray.

I listen to the chatter of the lunch room which is quieter than usual. "How come you never ask Alec to get up?" He asks gesturing to the hunter who's sitting diagonally to me. "Because I don't stare at his girlfriend's coin slot," he retorts before taking a bite out of his apple, narrowing his eyes at the young wolf.

Under any other normal circumstances I would have been very flustered at hearing those words, but there are worse things my mind is focusing on. Like all the failed scouting missions we've had this last month. The map we've been marking has a lot of red Xs on it. Morale hasn't been all that positive lately.

Wally sighs before standing up and moving to a different seat at the table. Wyatt settles down in the seat across from Alec. Our table has been pretty quiet too. I glance at Alec as he continues to eat, ignoring the concerned glances that Ally is sending his way. Alec has embraced what Ally said the day we found the Reapers symbol.

He's acting like it's not bothering him or that he isn't completely terrified 24/7, but his scent tells me otherwise. Everyday after school he grabs his gear and heads out, even if the snow is raging around outside and doesn't come back till it's almost night time. Where he grabs the map and crosses out yet another area. 

I look across the table at Connor who barely speaks to anyone anymore, well, except for Wren of course. She's his floatation device in a sea of insanity and fear. I wish there was something we could do to speed this along and get his brother and the rest of his Clan back.

It's just a bunch of trial and error. Wash, rinse, repeat it's frustrating and it's taking its toll on a lot of us. "Alec, um, why don't you stay in tonight? Let Crystal and I scout for once." Alec pauses mid bite and stares up into my mate's eyes.

He immediately shakes his head and stares down at his tray. "No, that's okay. Besides it's better if I'm busy."

"But Alec—" I start only to flinch when he snaps at me. "I said no!" His semi loud voice sounded booming in the practically silent lunch room. All eyes are drawn to us, but no one judges him because they're well aware that a small part of their student body has disappeared. The archer pushes back from the table, grabbing his tray, and walks away. Tossing the trays contents into the trash and leaving the cafeteria.

"Poor, Alec," Addie says quietly and I stand up, following after him. I round the corner and see Alec sliding down the wall and sitting down on the floor, hanging his head in his hands. I stare at him sadly and walk up to him.

"Losing your mate is like losing a part of yourself. It can shatter you if you let it. Which is why you must protect each other."

Aunt Robin's words echo in my head as Alec lifts his head up to reveal the pain and loss on his face for the first time since we discovered the werecats were missing. I crouch down in front of him and place my hand on his knee.

"Sorry, Crystal," he says with a trembling voice and I shake my head. "Don't be. You've been suppressing your emotions for an entire month I'm surprised you didn't snap sooner."

"God, why does it hurt so much?" He asks as a tear escapes his eye and slides down his cheek. "If I had to guess it's probably because of the bond you two share. My Aunt told me awhile ago that losing our mate impacts us more heavily than an average person. And even if you are human Alec you still feel the bond as strongly as he would if the roles were reversed."