s e v e n

Faune

WARM SUN. LOVELY, WARM, SUN. It's the best feeling in the world. The golden rays hitting your face. Making you warm and fuzzy. It makes me so happy.

It may just be because I'm Sun-Bound but I think if I had my twins gifts I'd still feel the same. The Sun has always felt at home to me. The minute it's gone, I feel this utter sadness. This yearning. But I remind myself, that it will come back. It'll meet me again. It never strays away for too long. I love the Sun and Tesni especially. She's said to be a kind and beautiful Goddess, known for justice and peace.

The pictures in the old murals of her are divine. She looks like the spitting image of the Sun. She reminds me a bit of myself. We look almost the same, which makes sense since she blessed me with her gifts. But it's interesting, I can't remember much of Mama, but I know I look nothing like her. She was short and frail with amber coloured hair. Ember has her complexion but that's where the resemblance stops for us. Maybe we get the rest from our father. He was young when he passed, Ember, and I don't have any recollection of him. We have no one to ask questions about him. No one in Marelli will talk to us about him. Reighla won't either. Ember and I have been in the dark our entire lives when it comes to our family. I wish we knew more.

I stare at the slowly rising sun for a beat longer before looking at the clock on my night table. Dawn is almost here. I sigh and look around my room. My light green room, covered with flowers and plants. I throw the covers off of me and pad into my bathroom connected to my room. I wash my face and bathe quickly.

I towel dry myself off and put on my clothes. Irina told me last night to pack warm and loose clothes for the journey. I packed sweaters and a bunch of tights. It's nearly winter so I wasn't planning on wearing any frilly dresses anyway. I pull on my soft black leggings and cream coloured cashmere sweater. I glance at myself in the mirror. This should work, right?

You look beautiful. I smile and glance towards the Sun, finally poking it's way out. Thank you.

Where are you off to today? She asks, I reach into my bathroom drawer and pull out a hair tie, I pull my hair back behind my head and secure it in place, tugging on it a bit. We're heading to Lodashine, Ember and me. The Sun seems to smile at this. How is your sister?

How is she? I don't know. She won't talk to me. Somethings going on and she won't open up and let me in! I need her to talk to me. I'm going crazy, she's always been closed off, but usually, she confides in me. But recently . . . somethings going on.

I incline my head and give her the only answer I can think of. She's good, how are you? She laughs, it's delicate and loving. Motherly. I'm splendid my dear, you've never been to Lodashine with Ember, have you? I shake my head, I haven't, I've been to Oshien, Brallen, Durmine, and Pickini, but never Lodashine. When we lived with Reighla she forbade us from ever going there. But when we moved out Ember had to go on missions for Minette. Reighla had a fit, but eventually calmed down and helped Ember.

I need you to be careful Faune. I look back out the window directly at the rising sun. Why?

Before she can reply someone's pounding on my door. I squeal at how loud it is. My heart practically stops beating. "Ember?" I call walking out of the bathroom and leaving my room. Nothing. Maybe she's still sleeping. I hurry to the door, squinting a bit in the dim room. I manage to get to the door before they bang again. I throw it open and instantly sigh.

"Hey, Irina-" Irina pushes past me and into my living room. Her golden-brown skin is flushed. My nerves are back again at the look on her face. Her eyes are wide and frantic. Her brown curls are sticking to her sweaty forehead and I think she's in her pajamas.