❝ the r-word ❞

i want to clarify this in case i happen to use the "r-word" online again at some point: i am allowed to say it.

it's a term for neurodivergent people to reclaim. i am neurodivergent. i have adhd.

ik that there's a split between neurodivergent people who think it's okay for neurotypicals to say it and those who don't.

for me? i honestly don't mind it much. on the rare occasions that i do use it, it's usually only towards myself. the only time i have a problem with it is when neurotypicals use it to insult a person. i'm a bit iffy on that. i'd rather call myself or a thing retarded than someone else. ik i'd be offended if someone else calls me retarded. justin used to do it a lot, and i hated it.

a friend taught me in first grade that it was synonymous with the word "stupid," and that's how i tend to use it. it wasn't until much later that i figured out where the term came from.

it's something i prefer to use more casually in a more light-hearted tone than anything ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

i mean, i called myself a "retarded, little rat" once. i thought it was funny. it was meant to be light hearted and not directed at anyone but myself.

however, i prefer not to use it against neither a neurotypical person nor another neurodivergent person.

the word "retard" isn't even a word that can usually be used in a positive way, so there's not much reason to reclaim it. that's partially why i don't use it except for the rare occasion.

(10.26.20)