Chapter 7: Fall and Fly

Chapter 7 : Fall and Fly

There must be a cloud inside my head or I’ve gotten the power of levitation so I sent myself into air unconsciously. But either way, this situation gives pain and haziness inside my head. I frowned at it. I feel like vomiting.

I decided to open my eyes as my body started to feel itself and my surroundings. I waited until I’ve gotten used to it. The room was small and quite messy. It is made of woods and metal. Even the bed I’m lying on is full of stains and smelly. And with that realization, I immediately leapt myself from the stinking bed but ended up flying to the far corner of the room. My body made a loud sound as I hit the wooden floor.

This place is moving! Everything started to rush in my memory and I felt my body turning cold with fear as I get into the whole of it. I was kidnapped! I was taken away from my family! And most of all, I must be in the middle of an extremely deep sea.

I tried to keep myself steady and held tightly on one of the foot of the stinking bed. My fear is getting all the strength I had from my body. I couldn’t even scream. When the wave kept its normal lazy pace, I decided to loosen up and calm myself. Well, I calmed down only a little. Fear is still holding me on the ground.

I could hear noises outside. I could hear shouts, curses, laughters and booming commands from someone. Now, I don’t know which one is so dreadful right now; drowning and being swallowed by the sea or killed by the pirates lurking outside. If I have a choice, I would choose none of it. Oh, God! Why me? I could say that it’s already dawn. It was midnight when they attacked the west land. I am not always a lady-like. I could do escape in the most boyish way. I could even jump off a window. But I could never escape like a mackerel in this situation. I have no knowledge of swimming. Uh. I don’t even know how far we are from the nearest land. This is a hopeless case.

I had my hands hold tightly on the bars of the bed when I heard footsteps coming towards my direction. I gasped in horror as I watch the door knob rolled. They don’t even know how to knock!

The man from the jail entered. I couldn’t believe that those I saved from death will be the one to bring danger on me. “Good morning, my lady.” He greeted with a toothed grin. He looked so filthy and smelly. His torn clothes revealed his muscled sun-burned skin.

I glared at him. “Are we on our way back to the West land?” I snapped at him.

“I’m afraid that’s the part of the earth we won’t be going back for a while.” I almost screamed at him but I decided to control it.

“Then any parts of the Earth that has a land to step on it? Or even snow in the Northern part of the seas?” Probably the North Land would give me shelter and send words for my father to fetch me.

But he laughed at me and said, “You’re so innocent my lady. It’s a shame to have you here. You’re even a bad luck for the ship. But I believe that the Pirate King would give us lots of gold in exchange of you. He has been looking for a fresh meat and then we saw you.”

I couldn’t believe this! How could they look at a person as a meat? And what did he say? Pirate King? “There’s no such thing as Pirate King. You are just a group of unlawful thieves who want to destroy peace!” my voice is a little bit stronger than I expected.

Murderous look crossed his face but he eventually tried to conceal it with a sarcastic smile. “And you think you’re making peace by just sitting your fat ass on a golden chair? You are all fools! Wait for the day until we get your lands!” His voice was so loud that I wanted to cover my ears with my two hands. But instead of doing that, I looked at him bravely and said, “Oh, you know you have to carry your ships if you want to reach the whole land. And don’t you ever underestimate our armies!”

“Ha! I can never believe in a woman like you!” he seemed to dislike what I’ve just said for he left the room with a loud bang of the door as it closed. I tried to stand up and keep myself balanced. I have to get used to this moving surrounding! I walked around the room just to make sure that I’m not gonna fall down if I’ll go out of this stinky closed space. After a couple of minutes, I think I got the control of balancing my body. I decided to walk carefully towards the door and with a sigh, I opened it.

The noise doubled. I wanted to go back to the room but I decided to find some place in this chaotic ship that is more comfortable. I know that there’s only a little chance for me to find one. Every inch of this ship is uncomfortable.

I found myself at the hidden and far corner of the quarter deck. Big barrels covered my spot as I reached it. I saw glimpse of the pirates who are busy on their sails. I couldn’t stop the fear crawling on my chest as I look at them and listen to their shouting voices. They are everything but gentlemen. From afar, I could see groups of ships. One is so big that it could make myself believe of giant pirates. Dozens, or maybe a hundred ships are surrounding the gigantic one. It’s like a village in the middle of the ocean. It would still take a couple of hours before this vessel could reach them. Besides, there is this big black pirate ship approaching our direction. It probably came from that floating village. Everyone seemed to be stunned as the black ship eat the distance. But whatever that thing is, I’m certain that it wouldn’t help me. I turned my back to them and to whatever is coming. I held my breath as I look at the vastness of the ocean behind us. The cold morning wind is piercing on my bones, strengthening my fear. I wouldn’t make it. If I would just let myself drop into the water, the sea will swallow me before I give a breath. I am so doomed. I never thought my life would end right now this way.

I stepped into the edge near the railings preparing my heart for what I’m gonna do. But as I looked down, I think I just saw a small light of hope. Maybe my life would end but not right now. I saw a canoe hanging at the back of the ship. It is just there with a pair of thick ropes holding it. I just have to find a sharp tool to cut the ropes.

But before I do that, I need a perfect timing for my jump. An inch of a wrong move would make me miss the canoe and fall into the cold sea. I’d be dead but atleast, I tried. However, it would be greater if I would just make a fight before death kisses me.

I looked around and saw a long rusty steel that is probably used for the barrels. I picked it up and drop it towards the canoe making sure that it would fall exactly at the center of it. And I didn’t missed. Now, I just have to place myself in there without being stupid about miscalculation.  Ugh. I wish I am that steel sitting comfortably and safely in the canoe. My heart started to beat faster as I place myself. I think there’s a drum inside my chest. But I don’t have any choice. I have to put my fear aside and jump. I looked down and calculate the distance once again. Oh, please. Hope I wouldn’t miss! I let out a deep breath before putting force on my ankle and leap from the vessel. So this is flying.