chapter six

kenma hands me a controller and presses start on super smash bros. i pick zero suit samus and kenma picks peach.

"really, samus?"

"yes, she's superior."

"nope, peach wins by a long shot."

i giggle. "shut up and start the game."

kenma let's out the smallest laugh and starts the game. he ends up winning six of the ten rounds. we play for a while listening to the thunder.

"it's getting late and it doesn't sound like the rain is stopping anytime soon." kenma pauses the game.

"since when do you care about sleep?"

"since now. head down to the living room and i'll bring you a blanket."

i nod and exit kenma's room, going down to the living room and sitting on the couch.

"here." kenma throws a blanket onto my lap.

"thanks, goodnight."

"night."

i lay down on the couch and drape the blanket over my body. the couch is pretty comfortable, but i keep tossing and turning because it's fucking freezing down here. this blanket isn't helping whatsoever.

i go upstairs and quietly knock on kenma's door.

"come in." kenma sits up on his bed as i open the door.

"kenma, it's too cold downstairs."

"the heat is on."

"it's cold, and your room is warm."

kenma looks away and sighs. "i guess you can stay in here."

"what, can't you just like.. turn the heat up?"

"no, then my room will get hotter."

"you're so stubborn."

i walk over to his bed and sit on the end while he grabs a pillow for me. maybe i'm the stubborn one- or he just doesn't wanna give me another blanket. he puts the pillow on the opposite side of the bed from where he was previously laying down.

"are you sure i can stay here..?"

"yeah.. if you didn't, yaku would scold me for the rest of my life."

"fair enough." i crawl up the bed and lay my head on the pillow. "night, kodzuken."

"night, ghostarix."

i still can't believe he found out. i'll never believe it. i doze off, dreaming about what i'm gonna stream tomorrow.

the next morning, i wake up from kenma's alarm. my eyes flutter open and reveal the sight of a black shirt. my eyes widen and i try to move away, but can't. kenma's arms are wrapped around me. oh. my. fucking. god. i- i'm- i try to pry his arms off, but they just won't budge. i admit, it's kinda nice being in his arms, but i've only known him for a few days.

"k-kenma. kenma. kenma!"

kenma's grasp around me tightens as i startle him awake. once he realizes what he's doing, he quickly lets go and stumbles off the bed, heading out of his room. i sit up on the bed.

how did he get me to his side? did he think i was a fucking pillow or something?

kenma comes back to his room with my uniform. "here, my mom washed your uniform." he holds out the clothes to me while looking away.

"thanks." i grab the clothes from him and head to the bathroom after he tells me there's an extra toothbrush in the top cabinet. of course, the top.

i change into my uniform and climb onto the counter. curse you, tall people. i successfully grab the toothbrush and proceed to brush my teeth. i run my fingers through my hair to control the flyaways and head downstairs.