chapter sixteen

i sit on the bench with coach nekomata and the manager, naoi.

the boys stand in a circle and put their fists together. "we're like the blood in our veins." kuroo starts. "we must flow through without stopping. keep the oxygen moving and your mind working. let's do this!"

it's the speech for me.

"yeah!" the boys reply and begin walking over to the court. before they can go on the court, i grasp kenma's wrist.

"what is it." kenma looks back to me.

"come here." i gesture for him to come down a bit. he does exactly that and i plant a quick kiss on his cheek. "good luck, even if it's just a practice."

a light pink dusts his cheeks. "thanks." he pats my head and ruffles it a bit before he goes onto the court with the others.

"we will now begin the practice match of nekoma high school versus karasuno high school." the ref calls out after blowing the whistle.

"lets play!" both teams call out and bow.

- time skip -

nekoma ends up winning the practice match, karasuno falling just short of the win. i give the boys high fives as they come over to the bench for water.

"great job, guys." i say with as much enthusiasm as i can.

kuroo walks over to me with open arms. ew ew ew. "don't you dare touch me with your sweaty ass self."

"pleasee~"

"no."

"please~"

"no." i take a water bottle and forcefully squeeze it, making water hit his face.

"okay, okay!" he shields his face from the water. "that was my water!"

"sucks." i toss the half empty bottle to him. kenma then comes up to me. "did my good luck kiss work?"

"yeah.." kenma looks away in embarrassment with a soft sigh.

"guess i'll have to come to all of your matches~"

"atsuko-chan!" an excited voice pops up behind me. i turn around to lev and look up to him. "coach said we're going out to eat, he's bringing us on the bus. wanna come?"

"sure." again, i'll never pass up free food. i turn back around to kenma, who's sliding on his track jacket. i grab him a towel and hand it to him.

"thanks." he gladly takes the towel and wipes down his forehead.

"can i do your hair again?" i question while gazing at him.

he looks over to me while is face is dusted with a light pink. he slowly nods.

i give him a closed eye smile. "i'll do it on the bus."

he nods again and we head out of the gymnasium to wait for coach with the bus.

he comes a few minutes later. we all get on the bus, kenma going to the very back and taking the window seat. i sit on the seat next to him, putting my bag on the next seat and taking out stuff to do his hair.

"do you have to do it now.."

"yes, you agreed to it." i turn his head to get a better angle on his hair.

he briefly sighs as i tie one half of his hair up into a ponytail. "what if i told you i regret my decision?"

"mmh. turn your head to the right."

kenma turns his head and i make another ponytail. "you look so cute."

"you're cute." kenma quietly says, then puts a hand over his mouth.

"aww~" i poke his cheek. "you're warming up to me."

"i was kidding."

my jaw drops. "wow." i pull the hair ties off and shove them back in my bag.

"why'd you take them off?"

"you're mean." i cross my arms and look to the other side. kenma puts an arm around my shoulders and rests his head on mine. i put my head on his shoulder and the ride to wherever we're going to eat continues.

we arrive to the restaurant and we all get out of the bus.

coach nekomata and naoi sit at a different table from us, getting us a booth. i sit in between kenma and morisuke.

we order our food then thank coach and naoi, yeah yeah all that good stuff.

"are you guys free this weekend. all of you." i randomly say, thinking about what to do this weekend. they positively reply. "we should go somewhere, like just us."

"what we're you thinking, chibi-chan?" kuroo questions from across the booth.

"a hotel. or something."

"and how're we paying for that?" yamamoto questions.

"i'm a- don't worry about it." not me almost exposing my identity.

"i'm down, as long as you're there~" kuroo wiggles his eyebrows.

"kuroo!" morisuke throws a balled up napkin at kuroo's head.

"okay, what is with you two throwing stuff at me?"

"it's fun." i snarkily reply with raised eyebrows.

"just wait till i start throwing stuff at you." kuroo crosses his arms on the table. i give him a fake smile as the waiter comes with the food.

dinner contains a lot of kuroo flirting with me to make kenma jealous, kenma turning as red as the ketchup on lev's plate, morisuke and lev playing footsie's (not in a good way), kenma forgetting that we're at dinner and taking out his phone to play games, kai telling kuroo to shut up and eat, and yeah. note to self, don't come to dinner with all of them at once.

we all eventually go home. i start planning out the weekend, because honestly, i want to go to a hotel. yeah, i wasn't planing to go with all of them, but maybe some will back out? who am i kidding, who would back out of a hotel.