First test of power

"Okay so first thing's first. How many people are currently working under us?"-I ask Kai.

I had started to learn all about the organization in order to make the right call when the time comes. For that I needed to know everything about businesses, legitimate and illegitimate and everything about the other members.

"About 200.000 people from the highest ranks to the lowest. On the books as you know we do manufacture, market, banking and other business. Off books mostly trafficking, sometimes blackmail but rarely and of course we offer protection in exchange of monetary goods."

"I understand and some of the money goes off to charity and taking care of our workers needs."-I say to him as I was looking at numbers on the books that my father kept.

I saw some documents that father had left, but they seemed rather interrupted, it looked like the information wasn't complete. I knew that the missing parts were someplace else and I had to find them.

"What's on your mind?"-Kai says interrupting my thoughts as he sat in front of me.

"A lot, so many things."-I reply, leaving the books down.

I knew what I wanted to do but the beginning was going to be very difficult for that I was sure. I had to figure out everything and make the right decisions. And I was afraid... so so afraid.

"You know it deep down and I'm not going to lie to you. It is going to be difficult. Every change is always difficult and as soon as the outsiders feel a whiff of change they will start acting. But you are a fighter and I know you will get through this."-he says holding my hand.

In that moment I felt better. He had a way of making me feel better. I could look at his jet black hair and his hazel eyes and feel at peace.

I get closer to him and peak his lips, but right after he pulls me back in giving me a long passionate kiss.

The kiss gets brutally interrupted by a knock on the door.

"Miss there is something for you."-the maid say and I motion for her to bring it to me.

"Thank you Aiko."-I say as she leaves the room.

It was a black envelope with the Oni mask engraved on it, a symbol of our organization.
I open it revealing what it seemed to be a letter.

"Meeting at 9 with the other members. Something that needs to be discussed."

"What could it be?"-I ask Kai.

"I don't know really."-he says looking as confused as I did and maybe a little suspicious.

"Do they always send letters?"

"Yes, you know the police and other secret intelligence services may listen to our phone calls. This way is safer."-he says waving the letter and then burning it.

"If you want to do something right do it old school."-I say to him.

...

I started getting ready. A little bit of makeup mostly focused on my lashes and lipstick and then I decided to wear a blue kimono. I've always liked the traditional style better but I had to settle for the new ones for practicality.

 I've always liked the traditional style better but I had to settle for the new ones for practicality

I wore a pair of heels from Dsquared and went downstairs.

At 8:50 PM we were already there. I didn't like that whole fashionably late thing and in this business it's always better to be early.

"There is something to be decided today and it was a last minute news that is why the meeting was announced so late."-Chotan one of the members of the organization says.

"What is the news?"-another board member asks.

I decided to sit back to look at the and listen to what they had to say. I've always thought that when you are too involved somewhere or when you talk too much you get so included that you don't see what goes around. Being a bit more passive helped me observe each and every one of them and understand their characteristics based off their opinions and movement.

"Twelve of our people were captured last night at the docks. It was a special operation and three of them died."-says Chotan attracting some very worried and unpleasant sounds from the rest of the room.

"Something needs to be done!"-one of the heads says.

"That is why we are gathered here. To decide what needs to be done."-says Chotan and proceeds to sitting down in his chair.

"There is only one thing that needs to be done."-says Shao.

Discussions started to create in that dark room, some seemed more calm, some frustrated, but they all wanted to give a solution to the problem.

"They are not going to die."-I say from my chair and everyone goes quiet.

"It is necessary."-says Shao and another member agrees.

"No necessary is to take care of our people and their families now that they are captured. What isn't necessary is sending 15 men for a cargo. It attracts too much attention. That's how they got discovered."-I say in a low tone.

"So we are just going to let them talk?"-asks another head from the dark.

"They won't. First because they have sworn when they became a part of this organization and we don't accept men without honor. Don't we always say that power without honor is just the flexing of a muscle?"-I continue saying.

"And we are going to make this decision based off a principal?"-says Shao challenging me.

But I didn't like to be challenged.

"No, of course not. Also because they know better. Even if one of them brakes and starts talking. For how long till we figure out who is in witnesses protection? They are in but the rest is out. Their families are out. I didn't even want to think of this scenery because I know it won't come to this, but in extreme conditions only we do that. I know they won't say anything. What we should do is provide them good lawyers for a reduce in sentencing and take care of their families while they're in prison. This way we can count on their complete and continuous silence."-I say and for a moment there was silence. Everyone was thinking.

A moment later Chotan speaks: "The head is right. Killing twelve people would be suspicious and it would eventually lead to us. Everyone knows they are Yakuza. It would only ruin things if we choose to act."

The rest seemed to agree.

I think I had passed successfully the first test. I have gained their obedience, but I wasn't sure if I had their full support yet. Either way I was going to have that as well and I had to figure out how.