Offense-Defense

"It's for you."-says Hiroto.

He was holding a bronze box in his hand and he gave it to me. It was quite heavy.

"What is this?"-I say smiling, raising my eyes from the box to look at him.

"Open it."-he says and looks at me with a soft look on his eyes.

I open it and see two Sai daggers, well sort of like daggers.

"I'm sure you know what they are. I thought since you always attack with your Katana, maybe someday you might need to be on the defense."-he says caressing my hand with his fingertips.

"Sai's are weapons mostly used for defense indeed.."-I say in a low tone, still studying the weapons in front of me.-"why all these gestures darling.. are you trying to get rid of me from the offense?" I say jokingly and getting up from my sofa.

He smiles: "That could never happen, I just wanted you to have it." His expression solid. He was always like that cold, empty look on his eyes. With me it changed from time to time, but other than that mostly solid, concrete expressions. That's what I liked most about him, he was hard to read.

"They are beautiful. I'll add them to my collection and I promise to take good care of them."-I say giving him a smile.

He sat down in the chair and ran his hand through his hair, his leg was bouncing and his head was low. Right after that he raises his eyes to look at me.

His leg stops bouncing and his expression changes, he keeps staring at me like he was mesmerized or bewitched.

I couldn't help it so I start laughing. He notices my reaction and smiles.

"You keep being this state any longer and I'm gonna have to start making some harsh decisions."-I say turning my back at me.

"Oh really? Like what?"-he says and wraps his arms around me.

"Hmmm."-I say running my finger through the table.-"I'm gonna have to get make you leave."

He turns me around to face him: "You wouldn't." His voice lower than before.

"And why is that?"-I ask him firmly, challenging him.

"Because... you know I will always come back."-he says and puts his lips on my neck.

I pull away and look at him in the eyes: "Then I'm gonna have to make you leave permanently." I say smirking.

"Well you did say that one day you will pierce my body with your Katana." He says sounding amused, but somehow I noticed he felt tense as well.

"Best believe that."-I say to him before I leave the room.

***

Hiroto's POV

She leaves the room, gracefully like always. She was like a celestial being bringing light to all the places where she goes, but when she leaves they are even darker than before.

She didn't realize it, but she did the same to me. She came and brought light, and now... now it's going to be darker than it ever was.

I grab my phone and dial the number:

"I'm glad you called! Have you considered my offer?"

"I do. I accept."-I say and hang up.

My chest felt empty. This was my entire life's purpose, but now I don't feel satisfied. It's so close... the end is near. It is the end.

It has to be done, my life's work cannot be thrown away by such things. And besides I'm saving her, saving her from her madness, saving her from herself, from all the evil and suffering.

Or maybe I just don't care, maybe I don't give a shit about her, most likely she was another conquest of mine and I got attached since she was so hard to win over.. this is just my way of explaining when I'm about to do... since when do I need to explain myself? Who am I lying to? Her? Or myself?

Maybe she knows, maybe she has already read my mind, maybe she has looked into this dark corner of my mind with her Kami (Godlike) eyes.

After I get out of her house, I hop on my car. The driver starts the engine. Once again I grab the phone.

"They will come, get them ready. We are doing it. The next meeting. Fast and effective. I will be there as well. She is the main target."

It was done. The end, the end was near. I just wasn't very sure who's end.