39. Purr like a kitten

Jemima

I woke up next to max in our bed the next morning, he was already awake and staring at me while I slept. He smiled so sweetly as he fiddled with my hair "morning beautiful" he lent down kissing my forehead "how you feeling today? Any better?" I rolled away from him, I should be happy today but I wasn't feeling happy today. Max kissed my shoulder, I screwed my eyes up tightly wishing the bad feeling away. "I know baby, I know you're still upset, it's ok. It will be okay I promise." I slid out of bed to the bathroom without acknowledging him standing under the ice cold shower quietly crying, ignoring his persistent knocking on the door and soft "Emmy? Baby? Can I come in?" That he was repeating. He eventually gave up and retreated.

I wandered downstairs wrapped in my dressing gown and underpants. Hanging back to listen to the conversation.
"You want me to try? She gets like this sometimes. You fucked up mate but I got a horrible feeling this is bigger than your stupidity, like I say I've seen this before. Starts with something small then, I don't know, it's like the light goes out." Peter asked, I felt guilty I was ruining his trip and wasting his time with me, he wasn't here long
"Matty" I whispered into the room, my brother looking up at me, his smile disappeared when he saw me standing in my dressing gown shivering, dripping all over the floor, clearly having had one of my ice showers, I never walked around in my dressing gown unless I was in full clothed underneath, or at least a shirt and boy pants.
"Kiddo whats...."
"I need you" I covered my mouth breaking down, Matty rushed over holding me as close as possible
"Kiddo whats going on?"
"I don't know" I cried into his chest, chewing on my sleeve
"Okay come on, I got you." He guided me gently up the stairs.

After a while of sitting on his bed not really saying much he suggested we phoned the therapist, I was hoping to be done with the therapy soon but I agreed. Two hours later the ordeal was over. Matty guided me to my new room helping me pick out some clothes laying them out for me, he kissed the back of my head leaving me to get dressed. I decided to just sit on the bed and wait, I wasn't sure what I was waiting for, divine inspiration perhaps. Wondering if I'd screwed this up already. I sadly looked at the photos on my phone, Max Liked changing my lock screen to surprise me, usually it was a goofy selfie of him or the both of us to make me smile. We looked happy I thought to myself. were we happy or was I just kidding myself like before, I thought I was happy with William but he walked away from me, he gave up on me, he obviously wasn't as happy as I thought he was or he wouldn't have walked away and broken up with me. He would have put up a fight to keep me. If Felix was happy he wouldn't have cheated on me and left me with his creepy friends while he got high. I always make people unhappy. I always make them leave. My self destruct countdown had hit zero and I wasn't sure if Max was still going to be here amongst the rubble, or if I was going to be left standing on my own picking up the pieces to try and put my heart together again, like I normally was.

 My self destruct countdown had hit zero and I wasn't sure if Max was still going to be here amongst the rubble, or if I was going to be left standing on my own picking up the pieces to try and put my heart together again, like I normally was

The bed dipped and I felt max reach to hold my hand, rubbing my knuckles affectionately "so emotional flashbacks huh?" He asked when I didn't acknowledge him "Peter said it makes sense, that you've had these episodes before." Max nodded sliding closer "was it....was it the bed? That triggered it? Or the shirt? I'm sorry about that, I'm stupid and dumb. She was nothing, she used me to get back with her ex. I never asked her to wear it like I did you, she just picked up off my floor to make sure her ex got the message that we were hooking up. I didn't know Robin was interested in that way, it was just casual for me and only a few times when I was bored on tour. I didn't date her. She stayed over twice but I didn't sleep with her in my bed, we just fooled around and hung out. I should have told you, I'm sorry. Matty's asked for a new stylist. She said some things yesterday none of us can get past and I don't want any mixed signals, in fact we've asked for a whole new team, get rid of all the ties we had in the past, we were young dumb and stupid, all five of us, Ed had two on the team he'd forgotten about that he'd had a thing with, Laura was upset at the prospect of him touring with them. It's not just you. We want to be more mature, we're getting older, me and Ed are settling down, we want a better image than the one have as party boys. We made mistakes that follow and haunt us still that Matty tries to keep you away from. He wants you to be proud of him. I want you to be proud of me. So we got meetings set up with management about revamping midnight blue." He finally stopped talking squeezing my hand, he sat bobbing his knee, thinking.