48. Freaking out

Matty

I angrily paced the kitchen floor, pissed they'd taken Jem to the hospital without me and none of them were answering their phones. Two hours after they left the buzzer went and Ed called out that Ralph was back.
"Matty!" Ralph hurried in calling for me
"How bad? She rupture something? She upchucking again on the quiet and done some damage dad?" I rambled out
"No, okay sit down"
"That means it's bad news, you only say sit down of it's bad news!" I refused darting out "where'd you take her! Dad I'm not messing around! Why did you leave without me!"
"Son, stay calm. Alright, come on sit down for me." Ralph guided me to the couch.
"Dad what's going on is Em alright?" Tom asked worriedly "why you rush off like that? He smashed two of his awards when he found out!"
"Sit with him." Ralph pointed "Henry, stop lingering and get your butt in here" Ralph laughed at his friend
"My boy alright Ralph?"
"Never mind him, what's wrong with Jem!" I complained fidgeting unable to sit still

"Sandra wanted to get her sorted first, get all the facts straight, get her settled and calm before coming to get you. Now you don't have to go Matty, but she is very anxious and asking for you, bare that in mind alright."
"Of course I'm going dad! I should have gone with her in the first place! I trump bloody max! I can't believe I came down and you'd buggered off without me!"
"Right for starters. This is not going to be a him vs you situation, you hear me boy. He's very upset. You will not make this harder for them or you will not be going in. You will not be kicking him out of that hospital room."
"Fine, I wasn't going to!" I said childishly "fine I contemplated it. But you know what I mean, I should be there! She having surgery? Was he right burst stomach ulcer?"

"How upset is he? He's not having a good week as it is." Henry asked looking upset himself
"This is about Jem not max Henry!" I rubbed my face trying to keep calm "my hulk is rising again. My little Jem Tom! I can't loose her. Not again!"
"Hey hey hey, you are not loosing her" Ralph rubbed my head "Henry....I scooped him off the floor for you"
"You what?" Ed asked
"Maxwell hit the ground pretty hard"
"He fainted! God that boy. This is why I needed to go and not him! He has a needle phobia! They take her blood, a drip, why the hell did he watch, he knows he's a fainter, bloody idiot." I wafted my hands, Henry laughing and agreeing.

"That he is" Ralph laughed "someone could have warned me" he joked "one minute he's standing next to me next a hear a loud crash and a thud and he's sprawled on the bloody floor. He's got stitches in his damn head."
"Oh no." Henry laughed "not the first time it's happened Ralph."
"Don't worry boys I got a photo for you before I bought him round, wish I'd filmed him now." He smirked "I had to hold his damn hand while they patched him up."
"Well! Spit it out dad."
"Your sisters.....she's....Jesus which way round do I do this. She's suffering from a cryptic pregnancy"

"A what now" I glared at Ralph
"You heard me, she's pregnant.....and in labour"
"Oh my god!" Laura gasped "I thought...but then I thought.....oh my god I should have said something, I'm so sorry Ed. I thought to myself she looks like she's in labour, but I shrugged it off because well, you saw her. I told poor max it was probably period cramps!"
"She's filled out, Max even said so. You could really see it in that Christmas pudding dress yesterday." Ralph nodded "but it's laying a funny way or.....I have no clue. She didn't know Matt, nor did he. Hence the fainting." Ralph tittered glancing up at a stunned Henry.

"Whoah whoah whoah" I got up pacing "so you're telling me, weaver not only broke my no sex rule, but he got her pregnant and now she's bloody sick because of it!"
"No she's not sick, she's having a bloody baby Matt!" Ralph laughed at me "like right now as we speak. No going back, she didn't wet herself, her water broke Matt!"
"Her.....in the garden! Her waters broke! She's actually having this baby right now, they can't stop it? Is it full term? Is it premature? Shit, Is she having a miscarriage! I mean, she's put weight on but not that much dad! They've only been dating nine months! Oh shit!" I sat down holding my head, trying to calm my mind.