Chapter seventeen

Chapter 17

I groaned and face palmed. I can't believe I did that. With all the drama that's happened I guess it just slipped my mind. Ash was looking at me weirdly and Ryder was frowning.

"Did you forget your lunch?" Ash asked. I nodded and Ryder pulled out his lunch. He pulled out two sandwiches, four small bags of chips, three cookies, and two small milks. He sat down a sandwich, chips, a cookie, and a milk in front of me. I blinked as he threw one of the bags of chips to Ben and one to John. He gave one of the cookies to Joey. They cheered and handed a couple of bucks back to Ryder.

"What just happened?" I asked.

"Mom already made lunch for us. The guys pay me for extra food," Ryder simply said. I immediately smiled and gave him a hug. He looked shocked and confused but put his arm around my waist, returning the hug. I pulled away and started eating my BLT sandwich then turned to Ashley.

"So what brought you to this school?" I asked. Her face went blanked and she didn't reply. I snapped my fingers in front of her face so she would snap out of her dazed state. She shook her head and simply answered, "I moved." I nodded and continued to eat my sandwich. After I finished lunch, Ashley and I watched the guys act like idiots. We laughed along with them until the bell rang. I groaned and reluctantly got up for my next class.

The minutes slowly ticked by until it was finally time for gym. I grabbed my stuff and was out the door just as the bell rung. When I walked into the gym, I already saw Ash with the guys. They were laughing and Ash was chasing Ben who was running around with a binder of sorts. I rolled my eyes, but I couldn't help but notice Tom sulking with his friends yelling their asses off at him. I shook my head an kept walking towards my group. I stopped and looked back at Tom. He looked crushed, apologetic, angry, and determined. An odd combination. I took a frustrated breath and turned to go to there group.

"Hey dumb asses, could you stop yelling at my brother?" I said. Jace and Lance turned to me with glares. Jake turned around with a frustrated look, though it wasn't pointed towards me. Jace looked infuriated though. He stalked towards me with a dark gleam in his eyes. He pointed at me, "You. You did this! You made him quit!"

I crossed my arms and looked at him defiantly, "Quit what? I don't know what you're talking about asshole."

"He's quitting the gang," Lance hissed at me. I blinked a few times in confusion and looked at Tom.

"Is this true?" I asked softly. He nodded and bowed his head in defeat. I stepped closer to him. "Why?" I asked.

"Because I don't have anything to fight for anymore. I need to start moving on with my life and find a job, a girl, an actual life without 'mother'. I have to grow up Kate. I didn't want to just up and leave the boys, but I'm moving and quitting the gang. I've been saving up money from the fights for a new place that you and I could go to. You know to get away from everything in this town. I'm sorry," He spoke quietly and looked at me with sorrowful eyes. I took a few moments to digest this information. Tom, my only brother, was leaving. Would I miss him? Yes. Though, I realize his intentions. I hugged him tightly. He seemed a bit surprised at first, but his arms encircled me after a minute. Without noticing a few tears slipped from my eyes to his shirt. Tom would always be my brother, whether I was adopted or not.

"I'm going to miss you. You better call me. Where are you moving?" I said in a rush. He laughed a bit and pulled away.

"I'll miss you too. I'm moving to California. I'm going to try some acting jobs, maybe even modeling because you know the ladies can't resist this," he flexed after he said that and I rolled my eyes. I punched him playfully on the arm and he laughed as well. Jace, Lance, and Jake just stood there still angry.

"Well wasn't that sweet. But, you've gotten rid of my groups best fighter. You're gunna pay for the money I'll be losing," Jace walked towards me with Lance as back up. Jake just looked in the other direction. I stood tall and waited to be hit or to dodge or something. Jace raised his hand then fell to the ground. I looked at him, then at Tom who just punched him. I heard a shrill whistle blow and the coach yelling. Tom was sent to the principal and Jace to the nurse for his bloody nose. Ryder ran up to me and put his arm around my shoulder. I looked up at him and shrugged off his arm. I walked off to the restroom to try to process all of this.

When I walked in a heard someone throwing up in a stall. I knocked lightly on the door, "umm are you okay?"

"I'm...fine," I heard a ragged voice say. I leaned against the door to see it was unlocked and fell into the stall. I came face to face with Diana who was crying in the corner of the stall. I was taken aback to this sight. She looked pale and grim. Her eyes were rimmed with red from tears. She looked at me and her face twisted into fear and hopelessness.

"Out of all the people to walk in here, it had to be you. So, what are you going to do now? Tell the whole school I'm bulimic or anorexic or whatever? Well go ahead I don't care. I don't need this school anyways," she said with angry tears still falling. I didn't think girls like her ever had to worry about image or stuff like that. I mean she was gorgeous, though had slutty clothes, but still she was no doubt pretty. Why was she doing this? I couldn't help the questions flooding my mind. I pushed them to the side and held out my hand. She looked confused, but hesitantly took my hand. I pulled her up and out of the bathroom stall to the sinks. No one else was in here thankfully. I grabbed a few paper towels and wetted one while keeping the other dry. I started to pat the wet one over her eyes. She complained a little about it being cold and her makeup, but let me do it anyways. After the redness had gone down I patted the dry one softly to dry the water. She still had a bit of red around her eyes but otherwise looked normal. She took a makeup bag out of her purse and fixed it up to where the red wasn't showing at all.

"How'd you know how to get the puffiness down?" She said.

"It comes with experience," I said in a soft, melancholy tone. She muttered a quick "Oh" and a "thanks" before scurrying out. I shook my head and walked out a bit after her. I got back to the gym to Ben, John, Joey, Ryder, and Ash and doing laps. I looked at them confused. Ash stopped to explain, "I punched Ben for stealing my binder, then one thing led to another and me and the boys start yelling random curse words at each other."

She sped off at the blow of a whistle and I laughed. For the rest of gym I watched Ryder run then play basketball with the guys. A small place in the back of my mind was still remembering the terrifying Ryder from the bar, another part was thinking about the comforting Ryder, and the last was thinking of the playful Ryder I've seen at school. Finally, I thought I was beginning to like all of his sides. I shook my head at the thought and went to play basket ball with Ash.

~~~~~~||~~~~~~~~~||~~~~~~
Hey everyone, I'm sooo sorry for not updating sooner. So what did you think about the chapter? We got to see a new side of Diana and Thank god Ryder brought lunch haha. Picture is of Diana.

Comment, Vote, Follow

Thank you my gorgeous kitkats!