2: Trouble is Brewing

The end of summer finally arrived meaning a trip to Diagon Alley was needed for school supplies. This being one of the rare times Evangeline was out of the house. For this summer. They made it a full day. James first changed his will for Harry who would be his heir as first born. Evangeline threw a fit, but James signed it adding the extra clause for a worse case scenario. After that they went through their lists getting what they needed first, for their second year. Harry added more art supplies to his list after James let them have a few galleons to spend.

It was past sunset by the time they made it home. Evangeline immediately huffed up stairs to her room as Harry and James went to the kitchen to do their nightly routine of making dinner.

"I'll get it!" Harry shouted as he opened the window to let the owl in taking the letter from it. Walking back to the table Harry feed the owl some food looking at the back of the letter. "Its for you dad."

"Ok. Evangeline dinner is up!" James then sat down at the head of the table. "Odd its from Dumbledore."

Harry looked at the letter in confusion "wouldn't he use that phoenix of his?"

James shook his head, "I know he wants to seem like Fawkes his familiar but Fawkes stays with Hogwarts. If there is something, Fawkes doesn't want to do then Dumbledore can't make him do it."

Harry hums, Fawkes was the phoenix Godric told him about before they went to the Imbetween. "Are you going to open it?"

"After dinner."

"What after dinner?" Evangeline asked as she plopped down into the chair in front of Harry.

"Letter from Dumbledore."

"Oh is grandpa Albus asking you to get rid of Harry?"

"Evangeline! That was uncalled for. If you have nothing nice to say, don't speak."

Let just say dinner was quiet after that.

Harry knocked on the wood trim of the sitting room. "What's he saying dad?"

"Mn? Oh just wanting to have an early staff meeting tomorrow. It will probably take all day."

Harry the next morning found his dad already gone, and Evangeline was demanding breakfast. So he started making something small for both him and her. Which, much to his delight she didn't talk at all.

For the rest of the day Harry finished packing his trunk for the year. The rest of the day he was in the whatever room painting.

Harry stood staring at the blank canvas with a paintbrush in his hands. Dipping it into a cup of pain Harry started painting.

Slowly his hand moves over the canvas. It's almost like his hand knew where to stroke the brush; his mind knew where to direct his hand without any conscious directions, odd perhaps, but that's the way it is. His hand moves instinctively to the right spot with the right colors, building a new picture, a new world. By noon the backdrop of the scene was finished.

While eating his sandwich Harry stared at the canvas, quick small flashes of something appeared in his mind. He knew that place but where.

Setting his plate down he picked up a new paint brush and continued where he left off. Closing his eyes Harry felt his hands automatically go through the motions again. Flashes of something.

Who knows how long it was Harry just continued to paint following an unknown pattern. Then he stopped. Glancing down Harry blinked a few times; it was of a dark watery place with a fang that looked like a Basilisk being held by a hand with something on the bottom of it.

Shaking it off, Harry then cleaned all his supplies and headed out to make dinner. His dad hasn't returned, so he started by himself.

With a flick of his wrist the table was set, Harry placed the platters on the center of the table when the floo lit bright green. Harry smile at his dad, "how was the meeting?"

"Fine but long." James sat down at the head table already dishing out his food.

A minute later Evangeline pranced into the room and plopped down. "Took you long enough. I'm starved."

That was followed by silence for the rest of dinner Harry thought the cold shoulder of his father was due to a long day with Dumbledore. Silently father and son cleaned the dishes before turning in for the night. Though Harry couldn't help but feel that something isn't right.

Come morning Harry woke up to a peck and his window. He slowly stretched and jumped out of bed making his way to the window. A brown spotted owl swooped into the room landing on a wooden frame of Harry's bed.

A letter was tied to its foot, Harry smiled brightly as he saw the crest of the letter. It was from the Potions Mastery Board. Quickly Harry untied the letter and ripped it open.

His eyes stand the paper taking in the words. He passed, setting a new record as the youngest potion master.

Quickly he called out for his dad running down the stairs finding him in the lounge. "Dad! Dad I passed!"

James hummed, "good job Harry."

Quickly he found himself at the floo throwing the powder. "Padfoot, Moony. I passed! I'm officially a potion master."

"That's great to hear." One of them said as Harry disconnected the floo calling Severus. "Severus! I passed!!"

"Great one less dunderhead to teach."

Harry shook his head as he pulled out, "Harry you best start at breakfast before Evangeline wakes up."

"Right. Are you coming?"

James nodded, "ya in a second."

Though James never came until food was done. By the end of the day Harry sat in his room wondering what's wrong. He could have sworn they would have a little celebration for him, but he didn't want to push it with school starting.